Thursday, July 6
Thursday, July 13
Thursday, July 20
Thursday, July 27
Sunday, July 30
Thursday, August 3
Thursday, August 10

https://www.laronde.com/larondefr/events

In the history of the competition, only three seasons didn't feature a Saturday on the schedule (1985, 1986, 1989) and three others only had one (1995, 1996, 2000). This is an unusual schedule.

Thank you to forum member Ryan for the info!

Fred

Posted: Nov 14, 2022 05:05:41

Wow, interesting.

To me, as an international attendant, this schedule is not very convenient since I prefer to have two shows per week than only one. Still I think it can be a good thing in terms of set-up. I feel lately some of the big shows needed more time and staff and a lot of companies had to rush the set up. So it could be a good thing.

Im not sure at all about the Thursday being the day. On wendsday La Ronde use to be much empty than on saturdays. I hope they do some marketing campaign to get the people there. Caus otherways i fear a low attendance can kill the competition. I guess most of the people attend the fireworks cause they spend the day on the park, not only because of the fireworks. And its clear not everybody can spend a Thirsday in La ronde.

Posted: Dec 25, 2022 00:42:42

This is, indeed, a very odd schedule, even though it is retaining the eight-display structure. I am guessing that the first show would be in the form of some kind of opening, and I am thinking that Australia could be among the competitors. It is also interesting to see how fairly deeply the competition is reaching into August.

Trav.

Posted: Jan 5, 2023 11:36:44

As you may have realized, at the time I am posting this, the aforementioned link no longer displays the information about the dates of the 2023 Montreal competition. The dates listed in the original post reflected the information provided by La Ronde in early November.

I don't know whether the removal of these dates reflects an upcoming change to the calendar, or whether it is related to other considerations which have nothing to do with a such change. Also, as a reminder, La Ronde had published debut and end dates of the 2022 season in late 2021, then it has changed these dates in early 2022.

I recommend to wait a new publication of these dates by La Ronde to consider them confirmed.

Fred

Posted: Mar 7, 2023 23:42:45

Is there any word on the schedule for 2023? We’re trying to figure out our travel plans.

Posted: Mar 12, 2023 12:14:50   Edited by: fredbastien

La Ronde website now states the competition is going to run from June 29 to August 10, in line with the information released in November. I guess that until further notice, the dates listed above still hold.

Below are dates of release of the full schedule (dates, countries, and companies) over the past 20 years (or so):

2022 - April 27, 2022
2019 - April 23, 2019
2018 - April 12, 2018
2017 - April 5, 2017
2016 - March 18, 2016
2015 - March 26, 2015
2014 - April 24, 2014
2013 - February 28, 2013
2012 - February 22, 2012
2011 - February 7, 2011
2010 - February 10, 2010
2009 - March 19, 2009
2008 - December 13, 2007
2007 - December 16, 2006
2006 - December 13, 2005
2005 - December 15, 2004
2004 - January 28, 2004

Fred

Posted: Mar 15, 2023 16:47:23

Salut tout le monde

Le calendrier des feux 2023 est sorti sur le site de la Ronde International des feux Loto Québec.
Les pays participants ne sont pas mentionnés . Donc =à venir.
Juin 25
Juillet 2-9-13-16-20-27
Août : 3-6-

Roger

Posted: Mar 17, 2023 18:42:15

Roger, il s'agit des dates de la saison 2022, que tu as probablement vues sur la page consacrée au recrutement du jury de l'an dernier et qui n'a pas encore été mise à jour.

La page de la section «Événements» indique toujours que la compétition 2023 aura lieu du 29 juin au 10 août 2023.
https://www.laronde.com/larondefr/events

Fred

Posted: Mar 20, 2023 21:54:58

Allo tout le monde........................

Ayoye MERCI Fred de corriger mon erreur. Mes excuses à tous les membres du site.
Je prends note qu'en 2023 ce sera entre le 29 juin et le 10 août sans plus de détails.
Les précisions sont à venir pour les dates et le choix des pays et firmes en compétition.
Je me suis laissé emporter par mon anxiété de tout savoir.

J'efface donc tout dans mon agenda

Bonne fin de soirée

Roger

Posted: Apr 1, 2023 10:07:58

La Ronde currents advertises a 50% discount on the add-on tickets for access to the grandstands, at $11 per seat (Silver section). Please note the discount is valid on this add-on product; it does not include access the to the park, which requires a day ticket or a season pass. It also implies that regular price for the grandstands will be $22 this year (compared to $15 to $18 last year).

Tickets are available for the dates listed in my initial post above, confirming the schedule of the 2023 edition. (At the moment where I post this, add-on tickets aren't available for the closing show on August 10; I don't know whether it is a technical glitch or the discount is not valid for the closing one.)

It is somewhat strange that tickets are sold although the line-up of countries and compagnies is not released yet.

Fred

Posted: Apr 27, 2023 12:46:52   Edited by: ryguy2008

As well, with today being April 27 and no release of the schedule in sight, it means that this year will be the latest release of the official schedule since prior to 2004.

Posted: May 3, 2023 10:33:05

The suspense continues... La Ronde has released, late yesterday, the list of countries to be represented in the 2023 competition, as well as the theme of the (presumably) off-competition opening and closing displays.

Thursday, June 29 - “Tribute to Boy & Girl Bands”
Thursday, July 6 - Ukraine
Thursday, July 13 - Portugal
Thursday, July 20 - Belgium
Thursday, July 27 - Canada
Sunday, July 30 - United States
Thursday, August 3 - Finland
Thursday, August 10 - “Tribute to Metallica”

https://www.laronde.com/larondefr/linternational-des-feux/program

We do have to wait more to know who are the entrants.

Furthermore, Vidéotron appears as a new collaborator sponsor (along with Tim Hortons).

Fred

Posted: May 16, 2023 16:33:00

Finally the teams and themes are announced:

29th June - Royal Pyrotechnie (out of competition) Girl and Boy bands
6th July - Dance of Fire (Ukraine) Ukrainian Fire for the hearts of Canadians
13th July - Macedos (Portugal) Tune In
20th July - HC Pyrotechnics (Belgium) Legends
27th July - Hands (Canada) 150 Years of Passion
30th July - Rozzi's Fireworks (USA) The Age of Rock
3rd August - JoHo Pyro (Finland) Under Cover
10th August - Panzera/Rozzi (out of competition) Tribute to Metallica

Posted: Jun 11, 2023 22:42:05

I would look forward to all of these displays! It is an interesting set of competitors, indeed, despite the awkward schedule! I think the once-a-week scheduling, though, could be beneficial in that it would minimize the risk that a show meets with unfavorable weather conditions (in terms of rainfall).

Also, the forum turns 20 years by the end of this month!!! I cannot believe that it has been that long.

Trav.

Posted: Jun 12, 2023 21:27:24   Edited by: fireworksforum

Hi Trav,

thanks for reminding me about the 20 years of the forum! It's also 30 years (well, it was on June 5th) since I saw my first display in Montreal! I had no idea that this would lead to well, THIS

Paul

Posted: Jun 15, 2023 21:59:35

In exactly two weeks from now, the 37th edition of the Montreal international fireworks competition, L’International des Feux Loto-Québec, will start! I have been busy since the release of the full program, so here are some personal views about it and various thoughts!

First, I am somewhat concerned with this schedule organized around Thursdays and one Sunday night. The decline of attendance is a long-term trend which has accelerated last summer with Six Flags’ new pricing strategy (on which the company has partly retreated this year). Although it has the advantage of freeing up the weekend agenda of those who attend every shows, the schedule may impact even further the size of the audience. This is the first edition without any Saturday show since 1989.

Second, I am curious to find out what the new entrants from Ukraine, Belgium, and Finland have to offer! “Dance of Fire” is the first competitor from a post-Soviet state. People from another Ukrainian company visited La Ronde in 2006, but they have never produced a display here. The Belgian and Finnish teams have an attractive record of achievements and these shows are certainly anticipated. Macedo's has the most intriguing theme, which appears as a sequel of another Portuguese display, the award-winning one of Grupo Luso Pirotecnia on television in 2019 (“Stay tuned!”). The USA are back into the competition this year. However, I am not sure what to think about the double appearance of Rozzi Fireworks, the first case where a company is listed for a competition and an off-competition show within the same season. Finally, the closing show on Metallica on August 10 will occur just before Metallica’s actual shows scheduled in the Montreal Olympic Stadium on August 11-13.

Third, this is formally the first edition following the 25-year directorship of Martyne Gagnon. A post on social media during La Ronde opening weekend showed that she is still involved in some park activities with a temporary contract, but her actual engagement in the competition this year remains to be seen. There are also a number of new people in the marketing/public relations department. We have already seen more posts related to the competition on La Ronde and l’IFLQ official Facebook pages than in previous years, so it will be interesting to monitor that side of the event as well.

A couple of “fun facts” :

* The 2023 jury is the 30th popular jury, a concept introduced in 1992.
* This is the 17th edition sponsored by Loto-Québec, now the longest sponsorship in the history of the competition (Benson & Hedges has commissioned 16 seasons).
* More important, as Travis wrote above, this forum turns 20! Congratulations to Paul for this achievement!

Fred

Posted: Jun 20, 2023 22:00:04

despite the awkward schedule! I think the once-a-week scheduling, though, could be beneficial in that it would minimize the risk that a show meets with unfavorable weather conditions (in terms of rainfall).

Interesting. Does this mean that teams are being given longer than the 5 days they have gotten in the past?

Posted: Jun 21, 2023 14:36:43

Interesting. Does this mean that teams are being given longer than the 5 days they have gotten in the past?

No, I very much doubt it. 2 days pre-montage then 3 days on the ramps. There's been other years with a schedule with mainly 1 show per week. I know the La Ronde crew prefer it that way as it's less hectic and therefore there's less pressure and fewer mistakes.

Paul

Posted: Jun 28, 2023 19:09:20

For those who may not know, the opening show is cancelled due to air quality issues related to forest fires in Northern Quebec.

Fred

Posted: Jun 28, 2023 22:22:14

This is what the opening show's soundtrack would have been: http://montreal-fireworks.com/ReportBlog/?p=2019

Posted: Aug 4, 2023 21:33:58

Just to announce that I celebrate 20 years of membership on this forum! Indeed, it was this very evening 20 years ago that I decided to become a member, not realizing what an incredible journey it would be!

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.025