Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› Weather Cooperation (or not) for Winter 2005.
Last poster Message

Posted: Dec 3, 2005 08:15:22

Traditionally, Smoke and I post weather reports before a fireworks show. I thought it would be worth doing one for Feux Glace TELUS.

Unfortunately, tonight will be very cold. In fact, it will be one of the coldest night of the season. The wind will die down a little bit, but it will still be a factor (W 20 km/h). The temperature will be -8°C, however, with the wind chill, it will feel like -15°C! As for precipitation, despite all the clouds I see all over North America, looks like it won't snow tonight.

Enjoy this 15min show presented by Royal Pyrotechnie. And remember to dress very warm!

Posted: Dec 3, 2005 11:12:26

Hi Enkil,

Thanks for starting the thread. Although it's not a typical competition, it's still always good to know the latest reports on the weather, especially considering this Winter like scenario, particularly today.

It seems that Enkil covered it all for me! Thanks, Enkil! Keep in mind that I'm more than certain that it will be cold this evening since we're calling for mainly clear skies, and I suppose you all know what happens when that occurs! Although the winds will die down somewhat, it will be enough to make you tremble, trust me.

Anyways, I don't think that I will be able to attend. Most likely I 'll attend the later ones. Most likely the 16th will be appropriate for me. If not that, then the 24th.

As a final note, if any of you should go, except Enkil, since I know he's not going, I hope to see a small report! And yes, as Enkil said, keep warm!

My gosh, this thread really causes my mind to be flooded with summer weather report memories.

Best regards,

Trav.

Posted: Dec 9, 2005 11:23:12   Edited by: Smoke

Greetings guys,

Tomorrow's weather is ideal, though isolated to periods of flurries are in the forecast, which I'm sure Pierre would love! Winds will be sort of breezy at times at anywhere from 25 to possibly 30 km/h from the SW. I'm sure this will give a slight windchill of about -5 to -6C. The temperature will be comfortable, mild and above average, but I'm going to give an approximate range of 0 to -2C, though I wouldn't be surprised if it crossed above the freezing point. However, the temperature will drop somewhat in the evening, obviously, but it will be comfortable.

Sunday is the snowy day, well, for now. As much as I despise snow and the cold (sorry, Pierre), it's ok for this time of the year, I guess, though I still want it gone!

Enjoy the show, guys, but still dress warmly, naturally.

Trav.

Posted: Dec 11, 2005 06:14:21

Hey guys,

I must thank you both, Enkil and Trav, for taking the time to write those weather reports, before the winter firework displays. It helps us dress accordingly. I must say that your reports were very accurate (both of you). I was dressed warmly yesterday evening (Saturday Dec. 10th) and I was glad I was, because even though it was not as windy as the previous Saturday, the wind chill factor was there for sure.......and it was quite humid too. Still, it was more comfortable yesterday, than on the first Saturday.

Also, I really enjoyed the fact that the ground was covered with the white stuff this time, making the display even more interesting than last Saturday. Indeed, the snow reflected the light of the fireworks as they exploded, making the night a lot brighter!

And you are so right Trav..........I just can't wait for it to snow heavily (or at least lightly), while watching fireworks. I have never experienced such a thing in the past, but I am sure it must be something spectacular! There's still two displays to go, so I will pray for snow Perhaps a "rain dance" (when it's below zero Celcius) an hour before the display might work? I'll give it a try!

Oh Trav........its quite all right for you to despise snow and cold temperatures, my friend! I realise I am in the minority here and I understand why people hate it so much........but I guess the child in me is still pretty much alive when it comes to winter!

Have a great rest of the weekend.....

Pierre

Posted: Dec 13, 2005 20:14:00   Edited by: Smoke

Hi Pierre,

Don't mention it! Enkil and myself are always pleased to report on the latest of weather conditions for you guys to dress appropriately and what to "possibly" expect. I quote possibly, as the weather can change on many situations, so sometimes one report per day is necessary.

As for the snow, I don't plan on disliking you for that, so don't worry! It's quite alright, my friend. Some people simply love it, while others inevitably loathe it. In either case, it's still our weather and we must be prepared for anything. Winter weather is trickier than that of summer's, but I'm doing my best in understanding different aspects of it and how they occur.

Thank you very much for your kind remarks, Pierre! We will continue to inform you and everyone here when applicable.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Dec 14, 2005 12:52:43

This is great, Trav. I will be on the lookout, to read your future weather reports for sure.

See ya later!

Pierre

Posted: Dec 15, 2005 17:38:19

Hi Pierre and everyone else,

Well guys, do you like snow? Well, here comes one big storm that may produce an upwards of 30 cm. However, my range will be 20-30 cm. It will feel like Christmas when you all wake up in the morning. Winds will be breezy in the afternoon to gusty, perhaps.

I know this isn't for the fireworks night, but it does, indeed, play a role on Saturday. I'll have more details on that as in gets closer. For now, don't go out long if you don't have to tomorrow. Actually, don't go out at all! I've known about the storm for about 4 days now, but I didn't have time to let you all know, but I'm sure you all heard about well ahead of time. It's a result of a "Colorado low" mixed in with an Alberta clipper. They will merge together causing one big storm. Winter, only being 6 days away, looks like it's starting off early and probably is wanting to pay us back for all the bonus hot or mild days we've gotten.

In other words, no rest for the wicked.

Pierre,

I'm sure tomorrow you'll enjoy yourself. I guess I can admit that it will be nice to watch the snow to come down, but I still have mixed feelings about it.

Enkil,

Did you receive my email? I seem to be having trouble getting to you. Let me know if you received it.

Trav.

Posted: Dec 17, 2005 09:18:07   Edited by: Smoke

Hey guys,

Despite yesterday's severe snow storm that dumped about 41 cm locally, has given way to a more calm, though breezy, day with plenty of sunshine with some cloudy periods here and there. Winds will be, as I said, breezy at about 25-30 km/h from the W and SW causing windchills in the -7 to-9 C range. Our high is ideal and is a rather nice improvement from those days that were engulfed with that cold Arctic air that descended upon us for several days causing lows in the -20s and highs in the minus teens. Then was that big storm yesterday that caused problems. So today, in essnce is a much better day for the fireworks tonight.

Tonight's windchill will be about -8 to -9 C. Winds will still be breezy at 20 km/h from the SW (southwest). The initial low is -3 C this evening, but -6 C overnight. Same kind of cloud situation as during the day. So, it's more comfortable and satisfactory for tonight.

Other than that, be careful if you're out this morning or afternoon with that sun and its reflectivity off the snow, which can really make it hazardous when driving and even walking. And thank goodness that the Winter storm wasn't today. After recording snow measurements yesterday frequently, it was hard to believe how fast the snow was accumulating! I haven't seen a storm like this in a very long time. Probably since 2000.

Oh yes, guys, Winter officially begins in 4 days, as is the shortest day of the year. After that, time will slowly recover, but very slowly mind you.

Enjoy the show tonight and be careful on the way there as it is still treacherous.

Trav.

Posted: Dec 17, 2005 11:23:34   Edited by: Salutes lover

Hey Trav,

Thank you so much for your weather report, my friend. It will be so nice to see the fireworks this evening and the reflection of the different colors on the snow!

Yes, we did get 41cm yesterday, but amazingly, this is still less than that snowstorm we had in Montreal on March 4th, 1971 which left 48cm with very windy conditions (blizzard)...........making conditions a lot more difficult! I remember it so well, as if it was yesterday.....I was just a kid back then!

I promise I will be careful on my way to the Old Port this evening, Trav! ;-)
Enjoy the fireworks!

Pierre

Posted: Dec 17, 2005 12:07:56

Hey Pierre,

Always happy to be of help. However, I won't be able to make it tonight, unfortunately.

However, I look forward to your report, as well as some others, too!

Take care, my friend!

Trav.

Posted: Dec 17, 2005 13:19:32   Edited by: Enkil

Hey guys,

Smoke, I did recieve your email. Thank you.

Pierre, I was going to mention the 1971 storm!

Yesturday was amazing! In the morning, I was so excited to go out and "be in the storm". When I left home at 6am, all alone outside on the street, I experinced a backflash! All that wind, that snow and that whiteness reminded me of the early 90s! Yesturday's storm was a REAL storm and we haven't really seen anything like it for a long time. It was really fun waiting for the bus and watching outside. I know they said the winds would gust at 50km/h, but I thought it wasn't strong enough! BTW, the bus I had to take got busted. We had to wait 20min for the next one. I know in the bus, people were all frustrated, but me, I was so excited lol. I wasn't even worried to arrive late at school, lol.

And yes, college was open! Exactly, half of the students were absent in my first class. The teacher said, something as big as this wouldn't close the college. Apparently, the 1971 storm, that hit Montreal in March 4th, with 43cm according to CFCF (might be 48cm) with winds blowing at 100 - 150 km/h, known as "Storm of the Century", didn't even close the school, however they were forced to sleep in gym for the night because the buses weren't working!

But why did this had to happen during exams?!!
Anyways, I can say I love huge snow storms like these. And I can't wait for the next one!

Posted: Dec 17, 2005 14:02:52   Edited by: Smoke

Hi Enkil,

Yes, I know what you mean. I love the thought of a big storm on the way, yes, even SNOW storms, as much as I hate snow, but it's still a storm. You seem to have enjoyed yourself. I'm like that, too, when in time of crisis.If I had to wait for the bus that long, I would just have walked back home and forget about school. I would have just jumped in bed and slept.

Oh yes, Enkil, I forgot to say that this reminded me of the early 90s when storms like this weren't uncommon. And mind you, it's not even Winter yet.

I have predicted a terrible Winter since back in July and I hope it would not continue this way. If more storms like this occur, we will have no more place to put the snow and will be crippled. The more moist it is out there, the bigger the snow flakes and the closer the temperature is to the freezing mark, the more ideal it is for snow to be abundant. I have heard several theories about the wild weather expected.

Btw, Enkil, I'm missing you already! And yes, it's too bad that you have exams this week coming with all this snow. I just went to do Christmas groceries! Trust me, we could have 300 cm and school would still be open. What a bunch of ignorant idiots. Really, in Toronto, or in many parts of this nation, school closes in even 15-20 cm!

Pierre,

Thank you for that link you sent about the 1971 storm. Truly remarkable. I can see how bad it was and I'm more than certain that it must've been a huge experience for you. Such powerful winds must have been a result of a vigorous cold front along with a huge area of low pressure, most likely a Colorado low, similar to what we've seen yesterday, though not as powerful winds, but the snow accumulations weren't too far off in comparisson! I'm truly impressed. Yesterday's storm was a result of a Colorado low in combination with an Alberta clipper merging and thus a big storm, but the differences between airmasses weren't the strongest of gradients to cause powerful wind currents. Keep in mind that there was cold Arctic air that settled in prior to that. Usually winds are quite strong when a cold air flow, like a cold front moves into an already much warmer area, causing the warm air to rise up quickly, depending on the strength of the front.

In any case, Pierre, those winds that you've experienced that day were well passed the forces of that of a category 1 hurricane!

Thank you for sharing this information with me. You were right, this is surely interesting! But it's still scary in some circumstances.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Dec 18, 2005 12:39:55

Enkil,

I am a lot like you are, when it comes to snowstorms. I love them very much and the more snow, the happier I am!

As for the snowstorm on March 4th 1971, I will always remember it and it was by far, the best I have experienced in my life. No one seems to agree about the amount of snow that fell on the ground on that memorable day.....the clip I sent to Trav says 42 cm, while the text besides it says 50cm. Météomédia says 48cm when it looks back on it, while you say that CFCF says 43cm. All I know, is that skidoos were the only vehicles able to move on Henri-Bourassa blvd and that cars, trucks were abandonned in the middle of the streets and were entirely covered by snow........and the snowmobiles had to go around them! ;-) The wind was also incredible and I remember having to bend my head down to be able to walk while my face was whipped by heavy snow. You could not see one foot in front of you I think that the strong wind had a lot to do with the seriousness of the March 4th 1971 snowstorm and I think all Montrealers do remember it......just ask those who are old enough to remember.....ask them what date it was, when they experienced their worse snowstorm and you are sure that March 4th 1971 will come up on their lips, pretty quickly!

Pierre, a March 4th 1971 survivor......LOL

Posted: Dec 18, 2005 12:49:13

Trav,

I suggest you watch Météomédia next March 4th, as they usually look back on that storm of 1971 with clips showing how bad it was. They also usually explain how it happened and why the conditions were so bad. Last March, they even asked people to send them emails, explaining what happened to them on that day and what they remember of it! I found that very interesting! I will watch Météomédia again, next March 4th, for sure.

I am telling you Trav, you should go an apply for a weatherman job, either at Météomédia or the Weather channel....they would hire you on the spot!

Pierre

Posted: Dec 19, 2005 13:04:23   Edited by: Smoke

Hi Pierre,

Once again, I'm interested in knowing about March 4th, 1971. Once I hear storms like this, I go nuts! I will be sure to watch TWN that day. I believe they show main events of weather history. They ofte broadcast it when the day comes, so I'll be sure to minitor that.

Also, I wanted to ask you a couple of things. First, I would really love it if perhaps, when you have the time, maybe you can email me, or write it here, since it's relevant, of what you did that day and all you can remember of it.

Second, I do remember some other major storms. Do you remember thses ones? The big electrical storm on the morning of July 5th, 1999? There was also a flashflood associated with a mature to severe thunderstorm that dumped so much rain at probably the greatest intensity! This was in July 1987. I was only 3 at the time, but I remember it somewhat. And of course, who can forget another storm of the century, which is the ice storm in January 1998! That was something else, too!

As for the weatherman thing, well, one day, I hope to live my dream! It's just all the requirements I need that are holding me back, but I'm willing to them all! And, as always, thank you for your kind remarks, Pierre! I mean it!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Dec 21, 2005 13:00:17   Edited by: Salutes lover

Trav.

Here is what I can remember of the March 4th, 1971 snowstorm.

First, when I woke up in the morning, I headed toward the kitchen and I noticed it was unusually dark towards the back of the house. I soon realised that the kitchen windows and the door were completely covered with snow, blocking all the light of day. I rushed to the front of the house, to realise that it was blowing snow heavily. I was sooooooo happy to see this huge amount of snow, covering the cars completely (all you could see was their shape) and I immediately thought that schools would be closed. March 4th 1971 was a Thursday! My mother turned on the radio and they were naming all the schools that were closed.......and they finally named MY school(I think all schools were mentionned), which made me jump to the ceiling with joy!!! I knew I would have all day to play with my friends in the snow, which I did all day long! I had to step out of the house from the front, because it was impossible to get out from the back, because too much snow had been blown by the wind on the house. When I got around the house and got in the backyard, I could see the wall covered in white and the snow had accumulated in front of the door on the balcony, and on the windows. I had fun "unearthing" the door and "digging" a hole in the snow to get to the window and put my face inside, so that my parents could see outside from the kitchen window! Anyway, I played all day outside, and it snowed the whole day, with very strong winds, which was blinding me at times...On that evening, the snow had stopped (or almost) and you could not hear one single car.....none were able to go around in that thick of snow! I walked to the corner of the street where I still live, and realised that Henri-Bourassa boulevard (which is a 8 lanes boulevard, 4 lanes each directions) was filled with abandonned cars and trucks, left by their drivers in the middle of the boulevard......and only snowmobiles were able to circulate around the abandonned cars. It felt as if we were in the countryside! Needless to say, there was no school the next day either, which was a Friday, so it turned out we had a 4 day weekend.....and this little boy was very very happy indeed!

Here is a text I found on the internet, about that storm, with the link, in case you are interested! I will NEVER forget March 4th 1971 and Montrealers who lived through it, say the same thing when we discuss it. I think that it is not only the 48cm of snow we received on that day, but the strong winds, that made it all so "bad".....or so "good", depending on your perspective! I think that last Friday, December 16th 2005, was a piece of cake, compared to the 1971 storm!

http://bilan.usherbrooke.ca/bilan/pages/evenements/2294.html

Tempête du jeudi 4 mars 1971

"Tout le Québec est paralysé par ce que les observateurs considèrent comme la plus grosse tempête de neige des dernières décennies. Écoles, commerces et bureaux ferment leurs portes.

En tout, environ 50 centimètres de neige s'abattent sur la province en moins de 24 heures. Ces précipitations s'accompagnent de violentes rafales de vent pouvant aller jusqu'à 100 kilomètres/heure. Dans les villes, les autobus cessent de rouler alors que seules les motoneiges peuvent circuler aisément. De nombreuses pannes d'électricité forcent les résidents de plusieurs municipalités du Québec à évacuer leur domicile pour trouver refuge dans des lieux sûrs. On dénombre une trentaine de mort à la suite de cette tempête."

About the storm of July 5th 1999, sorry, but I can't remember. I do remember the flood of July 14th 1987 though, with Décarie blvd, which turned into a public pool for cars. Our house was not affected by that downpour, thank God! And who does not remember the 5 consecutive days of freezing rain, from January 5th to January 9th, 1998? Woof, that was quite something, and I think I was very lucky, as I only lost power for 2 hours in all, during the night while I was sleeping!

I hope this answers your questions, Trav!

Take care

Pierre

Posted: Dec 23, 2005 12:22:52

Hi Pierre,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. It really did seem like something. I've read your entire experience twice! It seemed exciting! I'm happy to hear that you had fun with your friends, but then again, the situation was scary! I mean, 50 cm. That's practically an extra 20 cm more than a standard 30 cm ruler!

As for the storms I mentioned, I'm happy to hear your comparison of the 1987 storm. My parents said the same about Decarie. In fact, I still can't believe that Decarie looked like that. I was pessimistic about their description, but now I see it's true. I know I was only 3, actually, not even 3 yet! My birthday was a week from there. Plus, my mom told me that she had to pull me away from the window because I was watching! I was already fascinated then! But I did not know the danger, obviously. I was telling Enkil about this storm, but it was hard to believe.

The storm of July 1999 was something else. I remember it so well and how scary it was. It was something like 2-3 flashes per second. It was in the morning at 2:00 a.m. We were hiding in the stair way and staying down. The thunder was also fearsome and the rain was lashing. I'll try to find something of it. Do you know any web sites where we can find historical news?

As for the ice storm, well, no one can forget that. I'll be happy to tell you my entire story about this one! However, I'll write it up for you soon, not to mention that electrical storm. I'm surprised that you didn't see this one, Pierre! Are you a heavy sleeper?

Take care, Pierre. Thank you so much. Really, you have some incredible stories, too!

Trav.

Posted: Dec 23, 2005 12:30:03

Hey guys,

Well, for the final display, it looks like we're getting either rain or wet snow along with a high of 2 Celsius. This will help to get rid of some snow along like today. Our low is, I suspect, at or just above 0 C. Winds will be mostly calm from the West at anywhere from 5-10 km/h and thus a very low windchill, or not any at all!

It pleases me greatly to see the return of rain after so long. However, it looks like we're getting some snow for Christmas, so that will be nice, as long as it isn't much.

All in all, a pleasant viewing night for the last display.

Trav.

Posted: Dec 23, 2005 19:50:12

I'm really glad to see a -1°C for tomorrow night. Just a few weeks ago, it was said that this weekend will be in the -20°C. And now it changed to -1°C, making it a "comfortable" night for fireworks in Winter, lol.

If it does snow, that would be a real treat!

And if all goes right, I'll be able to attend the show.

Hard to believe my first college session is finally over and I'm going watch fireworks tomorrow night, despite a few little left over exams that I have to do in January because of the strike days!

Posted: Dec 24, 2005 08:44:00   Edited by: Smoke

Hi Enkil,

Well, it's very possible to see some moderate flurries to light snow this evening as the temperature will hover at the freezing point. However, chances are that there could also be a rain-snow mix, but I think it's more favorable for snow or just a barely mixed bag. Winds will still be light, too. This way, the windchill will be down to nothing or just very mild making it ideal. Winds will be from the W at about 10 km/h now, so the windchill will be about -3 C.

I was very happy to see rain/drizzle yesterday afternoon and it did put a smile on my face. I did dream of a thunderstorm last night but I felt lousy this morning because it was only a dream! I miss those hot summery days already. But I was happy to see the mercury reading at 1 degree this morning and it still is now! It's not much, but it will help to get rid of some snow, at least.

In the meantime, this afternoon, it will be a battle between rain vs. snow. Go rain!!!!!!!!! Not a bad week on the way, at least, for now.

Trav.

Posted: Dec 25, 2005 07:12:04   Edited by: Smoke

Final weather report for Christmas Day!

Well, as I mentioned, I was VERY happy to see rain today, though I know we all want snow! However, we might get a mixed bag today, but I think it will be mostly rain with some snow later on, but wet snow. I believe the snow will be here tomorrow, though I'm not sure of quantity, but I do know that winds will pick up tonight into tomorrow, so perhaps a "possible" small Winter snowstorm. Some moisture also present out there with dewpoints measure just about 0 C. Anyhow, still a good looking week on the way.

Once again, today is an epic battle between Rain vs. Snow! Fight!

Merry Christmas and best wishes,!

~Travis.~

Posted: Jan 2, 2006 12:20:48   Edited by: Salutes lover

Trav,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I had visitors at home for Christmas and then, I went to celebrate New Year's Day in Ontario.

Now that you mention that electrical storm in July of 1999, I remember it. I just didn't know when exactly it occured. I remember waking up in the middle of the night and seeing these lightnings, one after the other, non-stop! I remember a similar storm when I was real young (maybe 6 or 7). It was during a Summer afternoon. My sister, mother and myself were in the kitchen, our backs glued to the refrigerator, watching the fierce thunderstorm outside. The wind was really strong and the lightnings were everywhere, thunder was deafening and the trees in our backyard were being whipped and battered violently by the wind. Even my mother was scared.....LOL. Thanks for jogging my memory, Travis. Of course, I would love to hear about what you experienced during those different events, related to bad weather!

Take care!

Pierre

Page loading time (sec.): 0.012