Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› pyrotechnics glossay
Last poster Message

Posted: Feb 20, 2006 15:49:47

this is the pyro glossary but don't post please is this subjet is an glossary !!! thank for you collaboration

Aerial Repeater
A device that propels multiple, repetitive pyrotechnic charges into the air. The charges produce various colors, noises, and effects; some break into color bursts in the air and some display colors going up. Aerial repeaters, among the most beautiful "show pieces" of the consumer fireworks, are also called "cakes" or "repeaters."

Barrage
A rapid fire, successive pyrotechnic effect.

Beehive Effect
A visual effect appearing as if the color stars are very actively "swarming" around. A unique effect.

Bottle Rocket
A small tube (generally no larger than 1/4 inch in diameter) attached to a thin bamboo stick that shoots an expelling combustion from one end that propels it into the air. The smallest rocket available.

Break
The aerial burst of a shell that produces the color and other effects.

Bursting Charge The internal pyrotechnic load in a shell designed to break or burst the shell at a predetermined time and height, igniting and spreading the contents of the shell.

Cake See Aerial Repeater.

Chrysanthemum Effect
The circular or round effect created when the stars of an aerial shell burst out from a center leaving trails or spokes. This is compared to the Peony effect of an aerial shell that does not produce trails as the shell bursts out.

Comet
A star or fiery ball whose pyrotechnic performance starts from the point of launch on the ground as it is propelled upward.

Cone See Fountain.

Crackle
The audible effect of many small, sharp bangs or cracks.
Drizzle/Rain Glitter effect that simulates rain falling. Also the same as a shower effect.

Firecracker
A small paper cylinder (usually no more than 1˝" in length) containing pyrotechnic composition that produces a bang or report.
Firecrackers generally are purchased by the roll, brick, or partial brick. Usually firecrackers today are strung together and fused consecutively.

Firework
A device containing pyrotechnic composition that produces audible and visual effects through combustion. All fireworks devices work by combustion, which make all fireworks potentially dangerous if mishandled. Fireworks should only be handled by responsible adults who follow all suggested fireworks safety guidelines.

Fish Effect
Similar to a beehive effect, except that the swarming stars expand rapidly outward.

Floral
A shell that produces an aerial color break or burst.

Fountain
A stationary, ground device from which a shower of sparks erupts upward from the device into a spring or fountain like effect. The fountains may vary in color of sparks, noise, and effects. A cone or cone fountain is a fountain in a conical shape.

Glitter
A sparkling or multiple small flashing effect; much less distinct than a strobe.

Go Getter
Color stars that expand outward and appear self propelled.

Ground Spinner
A small device that spins on the ground producing a color effect. Some may have other effects.

Jumping Jacks
A connected string of small firecrackers that "bounce" and move on the ground when ignited.

Lady Finger
A small (usually 3/4 inch) firecracker.

Lantern
A very attractive device that is suspended from a tree or pole. Upon ignition, the device is driven into a spin by a spray of sparks that often change color. At the end the device drops open into a tasseled, rice paper Japanese or Chinese lantern. Also called "Happy Lantern" and "Chinese Lantern."

Lifting Charge
The pyrotechnic load designed to lift the shell into the sky to the desired height for the break or burst to occur.

Mine
Another type of tube device that propels single or multiple shells into the air that break from the ground up into varying colors, effects, and noises.

Missile
A tube containing a propelling pyrotechnic charge with fins attached to one end. When ignited, the expelling combustion from the tube propels the missile into the air. Some missiles have colored stars, reports or whistles.

Morning Glory
A sparkler variation of looser pyrotechnic composition in a thin paper tube attached to a wooden stick. Also known as a "flitter sparkler."

Mortar
A tube loaded with a shell that is propelled from the tube into the air that produces a break with varying colors, effects and noises. Also called "tube," "mine," or "gun."

Neon
High illuminated visual effect.

Palm Tree Effect
A floral (aerial) pattern that forms in the shape of a palm tree.

Parachute
An aerial tube device that propels a charge into the air that bursts or breaks with one or more parachutes that float to the ground. The parachutes may contain flares, firecrackers, reports, or other effects.

Party Popper
A hand held device loaded with a cap that produces a small report and propels confetti or crepe streamers into the air.

The party popper
has traditionally been associated with New Year's Eve celebrations.

Pearl Star
that burns with a color as it is propelled into the air.

Peony Effect
The round effect created when the stars of an aerial shell break or burst out from a center without leaving trails. This is compared to the Chrysanthemum effect of an aerial shell that does leave trails or spokes as it bursts out from a center to a round effect.

Plane/Helicopter
A small device with wings that spins and rises into the air. Variations include helicopters, jets, and UFOs. Some have nice color or audible effects.

Punk
A slow burning wick for lighting the fireworks.

Pyro Torch
A pencil sized lighting device that burns like a small flare for approximately five minutes. The Pyro Torch is to be used to light the fireworks items like a punk.

Rack
Two or more pre-loaded, single-shot tubes attached to a wooden base, fused together to operate sequentially.

Reloadable Shells
A kit containing a mortar tube and 6 or more separate shells. The device is designed to fire one shell at a time. After a shell is fired, a new shell can be loaded, hence the name "reloadable."

Repeater See Aerial Repeater.

The noise of the loud bang or boom produced by the firecracker or other pyrotechnic device.

Rocket
A tube or cylinder, with a cone shaped front, containing a propelling pyrotechnic charge attached to a rigid, guiding stick. When ignited, the expelling combustion from the tube propels the tube and attached stick into the air. Some rockets are designed to produce some color, whistle, report, or other minor effect at the highest point of the flight path.

Roman Candle
A narrow cardboard tube or cylinder that propels intermittent single flaming balls or stars 15 50 feet into the air. Colors, effects, and noise vary.

Shell
A circular or cylindrical shaped paper casing propelled into the air from a mortar or tube that produces a burst or break with varying colors, effects, and noise. Traditionally, circular shells are of Chinese design and cylindrical shells are of European or American design.
Shot The pyrotechnic performance of a single tube; the propelling of a shell into the air, that then bursts or breaks into a visual and/or audible effect. The launch can be individual or with others as a flight.

Snakes
A pellet that when lit produces an ash in a long, snake like effect. These are the items that leave dark spots on the driveway.

Snaps
Also called "snappers" and "bang snaps." Small pellets are thrown on a hard surface producing a cap like popping report.

Sparkler
A wire (sometimes wooden) stick coated with pyrotechnic composition that burns down from the top emitting showers of small sparks. Sparklers burn very hot and can easily burn the user if not handled carefully.

Star
A pellet or small ball of flame.

Strobe
A sharp pulsing, flashing visual effect; mostly white or silver.

Titanium
A pyrotechnic chemical that produces a brilliant white flash.

Tube
A cardboard cylinder pre loaded with a pyrotechnic charge that propels a shell into the air that breaks into a color effect. Tubes can be loaded with multiple charges with varying visual and audible effects.

Wheel
A device attached to a pole or tree with a nail that propels itself via small jets in a circular motion. Colors, effects and noise vary.

Whistle
A mild high pitched, shrieking noise.

Willow Effect
The effect created when the stars of an aerial burst burn longer, producing the graceful, drooping form of weeping willow branches.

the chemistry of firework
Symbol Name Fireworks Usage
- Aluminum is used to produce silver and white flames and sparks. It is a common component of sparklers.
-Barium is used to create green colors in fireworks, and it can also help stabilize other volatile elements.
-Carbon is one of the main components of black powder, which is used as a propellent in fireworks. Carbon provides the fuel for a firework. Common forms include carbon black, sugar, or starch.
-Calcium is used to deepen firework colors. Calcium salts produce orange fireworks.
-Chlorine is an important component of many oxidizers in fireworks. Several of the metal salts that produce colors contain chlorine.
-Copper compounds produce blue colors in fireworks.
-Iron is used to produce sparks. The heat of the metal determines the color of the sparks.
-Potassium helps to oxidize firework mixtures. Potassium nitrate, potassium chlorate, and potassium perchlorate are all important oxidizers.
-Lithium is a metal that is used to impart a red color to fireworks. Lithium carbonate, in particular, is a common colorant.
-Magnesium burns a very bright white, so it is used to add white sparks or improve the overall brilliance of a firework.
-Sodium imparts a gold or yellow color to fireworks, however, the color is often so bright that is frequently masks other, less intense colors.
-Oxygen Fireworks include oxidizers, which are substances that produce oxygen in order for burning to occur. The oxidizers are usually nitrates, chlorates, or perchlorates. Sometimes the same substance is used to provide oxygen and color.
-Phosphorus burns spontaneously in air and is also responsible for some glow in the dark effects. It may be a component of a firework's fuel.
-Sulfur is a component of black powder, and as such, it is found in a firework's propellant/fuel.
-Antimony is used to create firework glitter effects.
-Strontium salts impart a red color to fireworks. Strontium compounds are also important for stabilizing fireworks mixtures.
-Titanium metal can be burned as powder or flakes to produce silver sparks.
-Zinc is a bluish white metal that is used to create smoke effects for fireworks and other pyrotechnic devices.

jérome

Posted: Feb 20, 2006 15:58:23

okay i'm open for question about pyro

jerome

Posted: Feb 21, 2006 09:41:33

Hey Jerome,

That's a long list...I'm impressed! But, it would also be helpful if you could find pictures for some of them. Don't bother getting pictures for all of them! I mean, just maybe some of the ones that we hear about often.

I'm particularly interested in the chemistry part. I'm trying to learn what element or compund it used to produce various colors.

Trav.

Posted: Feb 22, 2006 06:31:34

okay i gift for you some recipe lately okay

jerome

Posted: Feb 22, 2006 12:20:05

i just give the basic chemistry because i not supposed to gift pyro recipe.

in pyro the best color is yellow,made by sodium like sodium chloride (salt)mixed with oxodizer like potassium chlorate.but the hardest color to produce in pyro is blue,but the best chemical to make this color is copper chloride.

the pyro world is too long to explain i gift the best basic site about pyrotechnics and firework construction.

http://www.wfvisser.dds.nl/indexEN.html

jerome

Posted: Feb 22, 2006 15:25:46

And the best way to get black powder grain.

dry method:

press the powder with hydraulic press and you get a puck like this :

and crunck the puck

and this is the result:

wet method

add small amound water in your black powder to get a slurry.
and make a puck with the slurry and let dry for max 1 week and
after,use a hammer to crunch the punk into a grain.

jerome

Posted: Feb 23, 2006 12:55:10   Edited by: Smoke

Jerome,

What are the coins used for in the last picture? I assume that they're for a comparison with the solution below?

Trav.

Posted: Feb 25, 2006 08:19:08

i dont know about the size of the coin because i not my pic.I take this pic in google.

jerome

Posted: Feb 25, 2006 12:54:30

It's ok, Jerome. It's no big deal; I was just curious, although I'm sure, judging from the way they're represented, that they're for a comparison representation.

Trav.

Posted: Feb 26, 2006 12:14:15

ah ok.

jerome

Posted: Feb 26, 2006 12:21:36

hey ths is one of my favorite stuff:

SMOKE POWDER

There are three ways to make smoke powder: dry mix, wet mix, and molten mix. But the materials and ingredient used for all are the same.

70% KNO3 (salpeter)
30% Powdered Sugar

Dry Mix

Simply Mix the sugar and KNO3 together. Being the easiest way it is unfortunately also the least in quality.

Wet Mix

Mix the ingredients together. But this time dissolve it water. Then let it dry or you can warm it up until it is malleable. This is the second best way to make a smoke comp.

Molten Mix

This is the best way. This time add 3-5 more percent of sugar and equal it out with 3-5% less KNO3. Mix this together, heat over a stove at low-medium temperature, and when it is a thick brown mixture it is ready. This way is the best and is recommended if you are making rockets.

jerome

Posted: Feb 27, 2006 19:48:14

Hey Jerome,

Thank you, once again, for the general information. I just wanted to ask. What are some really good websites that give chemical mixtures to produce various effects? Don't worry, I won't try anything physically. I just want to expand my knowledge more in the chemistry of pyrotechnics in addition to the information you've given me.

Thank you!

Trav.

Posted: Feb 28, 2006 08:09:26

http:come.to/pfp

jerome

Posted: Feb 28, 2006 08:10:34

http//come.to/pfp

jerome

Page loading time (sec.): 0.019