Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› Hi, i'm new here and have a couple of questio
Last poster Message

Posted: Apr 10, 2006 21:24:58

Hi everyone,

I'm new as of today on the forums and been having a great time reading the topics here. I'm kind of new to pyrotechnic, "kind of" because i've been making smoke bombs and quick match fuses out of my basement.

After reading some of the posts here, i've decided to go and take the ERD course on fireworks and try to learn more on fireworks by working with manufacturers.

Also i have a question, I'm the kind of guy who loves to make his own stuff, as you can see from my previous "amateur" experiments, so for me to make my own stuff i would need to find a distributor for the chemicals and powders, how can i order from such distributors and where could i find those resources?

Thanks a lot.

Posted: Apr 11, 2006 23:26:59   Edited by: Admin

I dont know how you can get your stuff to build your own things. But i know that to do so, it is a hard process to get the license to factory your own explosives.

Read this part of the natural ressource website as reference:

http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/mms/explosif/licen/license_e.html#f_licence

Posted: Apr 12, 2006 06:15:26   Edited by: fireworksforum

MrLeX,

welcome to our forums. If you're interested in any aspects of fireworks or pyrotechnics, might I suggest you consider joining The Canadian Fireworks Association? We're having a convention on the weekend of April 22nd at Pointe des Cascades, just west of Montreal. The CFA is actively working with the ERD to define procedures for amateurs to be able to manufacture pyrotechnic devices in a safe and legal manner. There will be many requirements to fulfil (one of which is being a member of an organization like the CFA) as well as detailed documentation and a written safety plan. But I presume you want to maintain all four limbs, your eyes and ten fingers. You only get one chance to make a mistake.

Taking the ERD Supervisor course is also another good idea. Even if you want to remain a hobbyist, there will be a requirement to have at least attended the course - so that you're up-to-date with all the safety rules and requirements. You may also want to apprentice with some local companies, get your Level 1 Card and shoot displays professionally. I can tell you, it's hard work but a lot of fun.

Visit the Canadian Fireworks Association website for more information.

Paul.

Posted: Apr 12, 2006 08:10:09

Thank you very much both of you for the answer, I appreciate the link you gave me Pat and will be reading very carefully this afternoon.

As for the CFA convention, where can i get more information about the association and is there going to be another convention? I am not sure for the 22nd, I already promised my wife to go to the Book convention in Quebec city.

And yes, you are right, i do want to keep all of my limbs. When i do my fuses i do it in a safe and quiet place with a lot of protection, still i'm planning on building a better lab in the basement just to be sure.

Thank you very much again.

Posted: Apr 12, 2006 15:48:53

Best not to put your lab in your basement. Your wife will be upset if you blow the house up - it does happen. Put your lab outside in something that collapses easily in a predictable direction if there is an explosion. Most professional workshops have three strong walls and one weak one that will blow out if there's an accident.

There's a yahoo group for the CFA - send me an email to president@canadianfireworks.org and I'll send you the details. We will be having at least one convention per year, possibly more.

Cheers,

Paul.

Posted: Apr 15, 2006 12:30:58

How often do accidents happen with pyrotechnics regardless of how careful you are?

There has to be a safer way to work with them somehow. When you hear about these incidents here and there, you tend to get mixed feelings. You can never be too careful; that's the problem. I'm very interested in pyrotechnic chemistry, but I suppose that working with any sort of chemical or volatile component would prove to always be dangerous. But safety is always a priority, especially with fireworks.

Trav.

Posted: May 31, 2006 13:21:17

ah les ingredient snot si facile de nos jour a se procurer.mais bon j'avait aussit mon labo de pyrotechnie,mais j'ai décider d'arrêter.le plus drôle c'est que j'ai encore mon meuble parsemé de cratère et après tout le nettoyage i sent toujour la poudre.ah que vieux souvenir c'est sur que maintenant j'aime mieux acheter des produit déjà fabriqué,c'est plus rentable et moins dangereux et MrLeX fait gaffe c'est pas un jouet manier des explosifs c'est très dangereux,sa fait vraiment bobo de se brûler avec de la poudre noire.

Posted: Jun 1, 2006 20:31:30

SMOKE :
in my humble opinion, an accident is an accident, you dont know when it's going to happen. Of course, a clean and safe work environment and well trained staff will help.

The one thing you can have control on, is where the accident will happen. I think pyrotechnics should be handled in places designed for that purpose. Our shop is a mile away from any habitation and has an exit every 3 meters on both sides. So if anything sad happens, everyone will get out in time and it wont even wake the neighbours because there arent any.

Finally, event the products sold in convenient stores are amazing so why bother mixing powders at home ??

Page loading time (sec.): 0.021