Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› News —› Montréal - Jury 2006
Last poster Message

Posted: May 1, 2006 10:35:59

Le concours visant à composer le jury 2006 est maintenant lancé. Les prétendants ont jusqu'au 14 mai pour se manifester!

http://www.internationaldesfeuxloto-quebec.com/fr/programmation/Jury.a sp

Fred

Posted: May 3, 2006 08:18:41   Edited by: Smoke

Hi Fred,

Thank you very much for the link. I was thinking about participating, but I'm not sure if I should because of constraints. Considering the deadline is May 14th, I still have time to think about it. Then again, I'm not sure if I possess the qualities necessary for being a judge.

Trav.

Posted: May 3, 2006 09:40:27

Trav,

If you are 18 or older, you should try, I am sure that you would be a good judge! The experience is very exciting! However, you would be immediately out of the jury if you miss one show.

Fred

Posted: May 3, 2006 10:49:00   Edited by: Smoke

Hey Fred,

Thank you for the encouragement, and yes, I am over 18 (21 years old). But, considering that if we were to miss one show and subsequently be kicked out, it may seem reasonable for me to seriously think about it since I'm obligated to attend them all. However, since there is much "volatility" in decison making with my family, it might be tough. On the other hand, I have had perfect attendance last year.

To be honest with you, Fred, it was Dan who inspired me to consider being a judge considering I've received only positive remarks from him since his experience last year about it. On the other hand, I'll be constrained and held back from sharing my responses and opinions with fellow enthusiasts on this forum, which is a let down since I so do love writing my comments here every year. Anyhow, we'll see what happens.

On the bright side, it's safe to say that the competition begins next month with much pride and dignity after the long wait, although I find myself saying this again after a feeling of this moment not being too long ago. Where are the years going?

Despite that, let's hope this weather improves, too. As I told Enkil, we're in the 4 big guys now; that being May, June, July and August!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: May 4, 2006 04:36:29

Smoke,

I've been visiting this site daily for years. I don't always agree with your comments and views, but your knowledge of fireworks has increased dramatically.

Stop thinking too much, and try out for the jury. You would be a good judge. This forum will be here next year. It would be sad to think that your decision would be based on this forum.

Just do it.

Sean

Posted: May 4, 2006 06:36:12

Hi Sean,

Thank you also for your kind remarks and encouragement, which is always deelply appreciated on my part. However, my decision of being a judge is not only based on this forum, but rather since I always do attend and view each display with my family, so it would be tough to get to La Ronde all the time under that respect because of the underlying variables. Moreover, my family prefers watching the shows on Notre-Dame and De Lorimier due to convenience. Finally, as we do travel a lot, the reliability of my attendance is not always a guarantee.

Anyhow, like I said, I'm still considering it because, to be honest, I always wanted to know what it's like to be a judge, but the problem is just making it to all of the shows. I was wondering, even if I apply and am accepted, am I still allowed to decline or confirm my decision to the offer?

As for agreeing/disagreeing with my comments, well, that's quite alright, my friend, since it's better to have differing views rather than having mutual ones all the time in order to keep things interesting. After all, that's what debates and forums like these are all about.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions with me, Sean.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: May 4, 2006 09:32:22

Trav,

Since you always wanted to be a judge, as you wrote, you have to apply. Anyway, to complete the form doesn't mean that you will be on the jury this year. There is a selection process, which includes an interview.

Moreover, I am not in your position but I strongly believe that it may be a good thing to postpone a trip in order to live this experience. It is one like no other. And I am sure that members of your family would be happy to join you at La Ronde, since you would have a second ticket for each display.

Fred

Posted: May 5, 2006 14:50:45   Edited by: Smoke

Hi Fred,

Thank you for the suggestion. However, assuming if I do apply and am chosen, am I obliged to be a judge or is there some sort of confirmation?

And I'm sure this is an authentic offer as well as for the benefits for my family, but knowing them, they're all too fussy. I'll have to discuss things with them and see what happens.

Trav.

Posted: May 11, 2006 08:50:14

Hi Smoke,

Glad to hear your interested in being a jury. What you must understand is that they choose people based on location and not on the essay (they don't have time to read it). Your pretty much playing a game of super 7. Once your selected, your will receive an email saying when is the best time for you to schedule the intervue (you can refuse if you wish). They select around 50-75 people and they intervue them at the end of May. Once that's completed, you will receive an email saying if you were accepted. From that point on, any correspondance will be done by email. IF AT ANY POINT YOU MUST QUIT, WRITE AN EMAIL TO CAROLE. Carole is the person reponsible for the jury members. If you accept, sometime in June (usually the saturday before the first display) La Ronde will invite you to a "behind the scenes" day. You will have the chance to view all the ramps (except for ramp 3, too dangerous). They will show you all the installations where they assemble the pieces. Also, Paul (master pyro) will show you some shells, the best being a real 12'' shell. You can ask ANY question you wish. AFter the ramps, they will show you the sound room as well as the firing room (interesting setup in there). Once the tour is finished, La Ronde will serve you launch.

After launch, they will bring you in a conference room, where they will explain every single aspect of being a jury member. Be careful though, they will try to trick you. When I was a jury member, they showed us the 2003 Chinese display which was beautiful but had an unfortunate accident. During the last 10 mins the syncho was completely lost. Carole asked us to rate this display. Most of the jury members (not including myself ) said that it shouldn't win. However, it won a bronze display. I think that that video confused the jury in thinking that Canada should win since they had many problems, however so did Sweden. To this day, I don't know why Sweden didn't win anything. Anyways, back to the point.

Before showing the videos, they will explain some fireworks terminology (don't worry Trav, easy things) and the requirements for the displays (what can and can't be done). They'll further explain the 4 points when judging the displays (synchro, quality, ...). When finished, they'll give you a giant poster showing all the dates as will as documnets showing the rules. I forgot to mention that as soon as you meet with the other jury members in the morning (8:30), they will print you your ID card (don't lose it!). By becoming a jury member, you'll get VIP seats to each concert (you don't have to go). I hope this helps to anyone that's interested in becoming a member. Ask me any question that I didn't answer.

Dan

Posted: May 23, 2006 10:06:50

Hi Dan,

Thank you very much for all the information. It sounds more complex than I originally thought, but I have a better understanding of what it's all about now. I'm particularly interested in the "behind the scenes" tour.

Really, this does indeed look like lots of fun, despite the interviews. I think I like the small training sessions you described since it allows us to communicate and react to different aspects of a display, which is, as one can argue, an excellent opportunity to learn much.

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.021