Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› Any predictions for the 2009 season?
Last poster Message

Posted: Oct 5, 2008 13:25:35

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding who might wind up on the list for the Montreal fireworks season of 2009?

I was thinking that since next season is indeed the 25th anniversary, perhaps that, much like the 2004 edition, we will be treated to a return of solely previous gold Jupiter winners. There might also be some surprises, too, like the double Spain appearance in the notorious 2004 season. I have a feeling that we'll see IPON S.R.L for Italy, or Pirotechnia Igual or Caballer representing Spain (assuming Spain appears, which could happen since there were no Spanish participants this year).

I hope it'll be a special one, not only because it is the 25th anniversary of the competition, but also because it's going to be my 20th year of attendance!

Trav.

Posted: Oct 6, 2008 11:36:26

Oh here's my predictions if the list would include past winners:

Japan - marutamaya
Italy - Ipon
U.S.A - Performance Pyrotechnic
U.S.A - Melrose
England - Pains
Canada - Royal
Argentina - F/A Jupiter
Spain - V. Caballer
Holland - JNS Pyrotechniek

How about 2 teams from the u.s.a instead of spain?

If the competition won't be an "all-star" competition here's my predictions/wish:

Italy - Vaccalluzzo / Parente
France - Jacques Couturier / Intermede
U.K. - Festival Fireworks
Czech Republic - Flash barrandov
Spain - RICASA / Antonio Caballer
Germany - Flash Art
Sweden - Goteborg Fyverkeri
Greece - Nanos Fireworks
Taiwan - San Tai Fireworks

Vander

Posted: Oct 10, 2008 17:53:26   Edited by: Smoke

Under the assumption of previous gold Jupiter winning teams (with nine contestants):

Holland - JNS Pyrotechniek
Spain - Pirotechnia Igual
Germany - Weco Pirotechnische Fabrik
Italy - IPON SRL
U.S.A - Performance Pyrotechnic Associates
Canada - Royal Pyrotechnie
China - Sunny International
France - Société Étienne Lacroix
England - Pains Fireworks

^^^
If there's going to be any doubles, I don't mind if they're either Spanish or American companies - those are the most likely countries to have that chance anyway. Spain currently possesses 4 golds, while USA now holds a whopping 8 after collecting the latest Gold Jupiter this past season - that's just amazing.

Under an ordinary selection, my predictions would look something like this (assuming again nine participants):

France - Brezec Artifices
Italy - IPON SRL (They haven't been here since 2004)
England - Kimbolton Fireworks Ltd
USA - Performance Pyrotecnic Associates (kinda hard to predict this as there are so many firms representing the states!)
Canada - Archangel Fireworks Inc (These guys were at Vancouver for the HSBC Celebration of Light competition this year). If not them, maybe Royal might return if no firm outside of Quebec is invited this time around.
Germany - Weco Pyrotechnische Fabrik (Have a feeling they'll be there as they won the Platinum Jupiter in 2004)
Spain - Pirotécnia Vicente Caballer
Japan - Marutamaya Co. Ltd
Sweden - Göteborgs Fyrverkeri Fabrik (I really hope they return, especially with what happened in 2005)

I'm hoping for a nice full list of nine participants for the 2009 season, especially since it's going to be a special one. I'm equally hoping that the schedule will allow for the competition to run right into August once again. It would be reasonable to also speculate as to whether there will be an opening show, but then this would take out a spot for a competitor - I sincerely hope that's not the case!

Trav.

Posted: Oct 14, 2008 07:52:25

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the display produced by JNS Pyrotechniek in 2004 their last display. I thought I remember reading back then that they were closing the business and using Montreal as their big goodbye.

Paul, do you recall this?

Sean

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 16:05:40

JNS did, indeed, use the 2004 competition as their exit from the business. However, Paul Philipsen, is still involved in the pyrotechnics world. I last saw Paul at La Ronde in 2007 where he assisted with the display designed by Mike Jones for Pains.

Paul's website is here: http://www.pyro4.nl

Paul

Posted: Oct 16, 2008 22:57:32   Edited by: Smoke

Paul,

I know this is entirely dependent on the structure of the schedule next season, but do you have an idea of some of the possible competitors that may make an appearance next year on the 2009 list? On a related note, any rumors we can dwell on regarding the layout (such as, for instance, focused solely on previous gold Jupiter winner participants) of the competition for the 25th anniversary? We did in fact make quite a bit of speculations as of last year, and I personally think it would be both so exciting and fulfilling to have a schedule layout comparable to that of 2004.

Additionally again, as I mentioned in my last post, we all would surely be most appreciative of a full list of nine entrants. Seeing that JNS is out of the business, I guess we can state that they won't be a part of the list under the assumption of an all previous Gold Jupiter winner competition, and of course under an ordinary season. That's really too bad, as the displays in both 1997 and 2004 were so beautifully crafted, as I recall, by JNS.

Trav.

Posted: Nov 5, 2008 20:25:16   Edited by: Salutes lover

Hey Travis,

Yes, I know, I haven't been in here for a long time...LOL

Great topic you created, my friend. I just hope that your feeling that Italy's IPON S.R.L. might be participating in 2009, will come true. Everytime the new schedule comes out, this is the first thing I look for and I am SOOOOOO disappointed when I realise they are not there!

So, to answer your question, I don't know what firms might wind up in 2009, but I do hope that IPON S.R.L. will be there and show all of us another one of their first class firework display with a mind-shattering finale. I am totally hooked on their finales and I seriously doubt that I will ever witness a finale as powerful and as mind-blowing from another firm.

The schedule was released in December last year, right? I am keeping my fingers crossed

Don't forget the "Feux sur glace" fireworks.....they are getting quite close now...

Take care.

Pierre

Posted: Nov 10, 2008 02:25:54

Hi Pierre,

As always, it's a pleasure to see you post here with your enthusiastic comments regarding vehement finales as well as with regards to IPON SRL. Indeed, the schedule is typically released in December, moreso having a tendency to appear sometime mid way into the month. I am very much hoping for an impeccable return with the Italian firm, in addition to, of course, other personal favorites, for they are necessary in constructing a promising and equally exciting 2009 season, being as grand as it is potentially turning out to be! Again, I'm curious as to whether or not there will be an opening show next season, as the season will, again, likely be a special edition for the competition (as in 2004). I'm not really for that, however, as it will take up a spot for an entrant.

And yes, I'm planning to see at least one of the Feux sur Glace displays this year - I've only heard nothing but positive and enticing feedback about the event over the years, particularly from you, Pierre.

Cheers,

Trav.

Posted: Dec 1, 2008 01:50:50

Hey guys,

As it is now December, I'm sure the 2009 schedule will be released within a matter of weeks (or maybe in January, like that of 2004?). If anyone would like to make any final predictions just for the heck of it, please don't hesitate to share your thoughts! In addition, if anyone knows any rumors at all, feel free to post them here, too, just to make things interesting.

Trav.

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 10:13:22   Edited by: fireworksforum

OK, now the dates and countries have been released, maybe it's time for another prediction.

Opening: Weco
Spain: Vincente Caballer
England: Pains
Australia: Foti's International Fireworks
HongKong: Pyromagic Productions
Argentina: Jupiter
Canada: Royal
USA: Melrose
South Aftrica: Fireworks for Africa
Closing: Panzera

Or maybe Panzera will do the opening and Weco (since they won the Platinum last time) will do the closing.

I'm guessing Melrose since I saw Mike Cartolano several times at the 2008 competition

As for Weco, I know that Georg Alef loves putting on displays in Montreal

Paul.

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 10:54:56

I guess here's my predictions.....

Opening: (not sure)
Spain: Ricardo Caballer
England: Kimbolton
Australia: Foti
Hongkong: Pyromagic/Glorious
Argentina: Jupiter
Canada: Royal
USA: Pyrospectaculars
South Africa: pyrospectaculars africa.
Closing: panzera

Vander

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 11:25:10

It would be a fantastic news to get a new display made by Weco!

I suspect a Spanish recruit, maybe another member of the Caballer dynasty...

Fred

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 13:01:43

My predictions:

Opening: not sure
Spain: Igual
England: Kimbolton
Australia: Foti's International Fireworks
HongKong: Glorious Productions
Argentina: not sure
Canada: Royal Pyrotechnie
USA: Premier Pyrotechnics
South Aftrica: PyroSpectaculars
Closing: Panzera

I have no inside information, accept that Darrly Fleming from Kimbolton told me he might be competing this year.

Otherwise, its all a big guess.

Sean

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 14:54:52

Sean,

interesting as Kimbolton used to compete every 3rd year (1993, 1996 etc.) but then they haven't competed since 2003. Any now with Pains on the scene (and especially Pains winning the Gold) I wonder if that will hold true anymore. There may be other issues too, but nothing that I have any inside information on.

Should be a good year though

Paul.

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 14:01:37

If anyone has any last minute predictions for the competing firms representing the selected participating countries, don't hesitate to share your thoughts. So far, we've uncovered that Royal will be representing Canada and Pains Fireworks for England.

I'm sure all will be revealed shortly.

Trav.

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 23:43:58

I think its the LaRonde Support team doing the opening display.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.023