Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› Weight of powder per display?
Last poster Message

Posted: Oct 14, 2009 16:08:09   Edited by: Rovira

Hi again!

In the reports there is the number of cues used for every display, but there is no mention of the kilograms of gundpowder launched. Do you know how many Kilos are launched (at least the average) each display?

3500 kg maybe? More?

-----------

I'm sure the budget is the same for each competitor, but reviewing the videos I don't understant for example how it is possible that Royal ( which I think is not a manufacturer) launched many more shells than Igual (which is a manufacturer). I would like to know for example the wheigt of gundpowder used in both displays.

----------

Another interesting question is about the budget for each display, but I think this is a taboo question here in Montreal, so I'm satisfied with the weight.

Posted: Oct 14, 2009 17:15:26

I was told (see http://montreal-fireworks.com/setup.html ) that shipping for up to 700kg (NEQ - net explosives quantity) is paid for by the organizers. I believe this is one 20' shipping container - if the companies want to send more, I think they are required to pay for it. This figure was correct as of 1999.

As for Royal shooting more shells than Igual, I'm not sure if that's true or not. Yes, Royal shot a lot of shells, but so did Igual. Royal may not be a manufacturer, but they do have their "own brand" of Chinese shells for which they are the sole importer into Canada - and Chinese shells are always lower cost than European shells.

As for the budget, I was told a figure many many years ago but I don't know what the current figure is. I have been told that it is 2x as much as a famous competition held in Europe - but I cannot confirm if that is true or not. Budget questions are very complex since the Montreal competition includes many items that are not included in other competition such as a large crew of pyrotechnicians, flights and accommodations for the visiting team, shipping of products etc. In other competitions, the budget for the display is used to cover these items as well.

I know this doesn't really answer the questions, but that's the best I can do!

Paul

In reality in Montrea, there is effectively a limit as to how much material can be used and that is based on the time available for setup. Bigger displays don't always win. I don't think Royal was the biggest this year - it was one of the larger ones but I don't think it was the largest. Shell counts can be deceiving too - which would you rather see: 5000 Chinese peonies or 1000 Italian cylinder shells (to take two extremes).

Posted: Oct 16, 2009 05:41:46

Yes, thank you for the link. I found the answer there. I was looking not only for the weight but also for the number of components launched each display.

It was just to compare with other displays. Curiosty...

Thank you very much !

Posted: Oct 17, 2009 21:20:53   Edited by: Saluteness

which would you rather see: 5000 Chinese peonies or 1000 Italian cylinder shells (to take two extremes).

Italian cylinder shells might also have inserts which in total will come up to a higher amount than simply 5000 Chinese peonies. Indeed they are two extremes. But if I had a choice to see either one, it would rather be Italian because Italian made shells are quality made. Don't get me wrong about Chinese but they are made much more faster if you watch certain videos on YouTube, they are made really quickly and sometimes can be possible for the Chinese manufacturer to have made over 200 shells (mostly 4-6" inches) in an hour (depending on number of employees), even though you can make that much with around 5 employees. I'm happy that not only men are participating in the art of fireworks but females in China are taking a large quantity in the role of shell making, so kudos to them!. .

I don't think Royal was the biggest this year - it was one of the larger ones but I don't think it was the largest.

I agree with Paul by far. Royal did have many, many shells, so did Igual. But in my guess it would be either between U.S.A. (Melrose) with their so-called 1000 shells in 12 seconds and their HUGE amounts of numerous shells throughout the display, or England (Pains) with their massive group of shells before the final song took place and as well throughout their display. If I summed it up, it would certainly be Melrose for the win (FTW). I am positive they had the most shells this year, and two years ago, I was told by a friend of mine and the forum that England (Pains) had the most shells fired in 2007. From what he told me, there were groups of 4, 6" shells fired in very quick sequence during the finale.

I'm not the best decider over shells but I can pretty much say in my point of view that Melrose had it all. Royale deserved first, yet I can't say U.S.A. didn't either. Doesn't any one agree that last year and this year, the FOX Theme Fanfare was played alot in the open of most displays? It's a great opening, but I find if every firm does that, then don't count that part as a way to mark the scores in judging!

Rovira, I must say that the weight might be a little over 3500kg, because it takes alot of shells and product to cover 30 minutes of a display to entertain and to impress judges in taking the Gold Jupiter. And it is also told that average in a pyromusical, each minute takes up to 2 hours of choreography, so never mind each hour, calculate how many pieces are fired in that minute, calculate how many pounds. We're seriously talking about a pretty heavy kg of product for a 30 minute display. And yes, in average I would say they are the same weight, even thought more larger shells doesn't add more to the weight, they just (take the amount of weight a large shell would take up) and remove that weight out of smaller shells (like U.S.A. did, they used more large shells than candles and small shells in my opinion (besides the salute cakes).

Regards,
Pat

Page loading time (sec.): 0.021