Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› News —› Fireworks at La Ronde on Saturday, May 22th, 2010
Last poster Message

Posted: May 13, 2010 10:32:07

La Ronde website announces a 10-minute show displayed at La Ronde on Saturday, May 22th at 9:30pm. The performance is held to celebrate Ednor opening. I am not sure it is going to be a pyromusical one. Though the roller coaster will run for season pass holders this weekend, a media event is scheduled next Wednesday. I suppose more info about these fireworks are coming.

Fred

Posted: May 14, 2010 14:12:51

So that's why La Ronde closes at 10pm on that day! Oh, so much marketing and promotion for not so exciting coaster.

Posted: May 19, 2010 17:46:15

Awesome! I been there this sathurday!

Hopefully it was a large show like every special event made by Laronde Crew.

Posted: May 22, 2010 14:44:46

Dont forget, the display is TONIGHT!

Hopefully people will coming on the bridge!

Posted: May 22, 2010 22:42:16

BOOOORING DISPLAY EVER SEEN!

Posted: May 23, 2010 21:16:23   Edited by: STL

For those who want to see it : YouTube is your friend !

Even if I wasn't there (only seen the video), I'll have to side with reloadable shell in that the show was slightly boring.

Spoilers : cakes, cakes, shells, cakes, cakes, shell (see a pattern ? )

Well, three weeks to go before Italy lights up Montreal sky !

STL

Posted: May 24, 2010 02:11:40

Hi STL,

Thank you for your notification as to where we can find a video with regards to this display.

Well, three weeks to go before Italy lights up Montreal sky !

You mean Taiwan.

Trav.

Posted: May 24, 2010 02:35:22

i wonder when the themes will come out I hope this fireworks season will be awesome B-)

Vander

Posted: May 24, 2010 11:03:35

You mean Taiwan.
No he meant Italy. Schedule has changed. Italy and then Taiwan...

i wonder when the themes will come out
Themes will come out this week as the press conference will be held on thursday night.

Posted: May 24, 2010 11:07:57

oooh i wonder why the schedule changed so suddenly... must be some shipping problems.. I hope italy does a flawless display this year

That's great that the themes will be out this week... so excited for this year's season

Posted: May 24, 2010 13:38:44

No he meant Italy. Schedule has changed. Italy and then Taiwan...

Any particular reason for the change? I find that quite strange - something significant must have occurred for a switch.

Trav.

Posted: May 26, 2010 14:23:48

You guys are spoiled when it comes to fireworks. You see some of the best shows in the world on a regular basis. So when you see a standard display you think its boring. There are lots of things to consider before labelling something boring.

Maybe the budget was small. Maybe LaRonde requested a long show. Maybe that's the type of display LaRonde requested.

Fireworks are expensive, and there are many parameters that a designer must work with to make a show not only entertaining, but profitable.

PLUS, products are slim this time of year, maybe the designer had a small list of stuff to work with.

Sean

Posted: May 26, 2010 16:38:38

You guys are spoiled when it comes to fireworks. You see some of the best shows in the world on a regular basis. So when you see a standard display you think its boring. There are lots of things to consider before labelling something boring.

Maybe the budget was small. Maybe LaRonde requested a long show. Maybe that's the type of display LaRonde requested.

Fireworks are expensive, and there are many parameters that a designer must work with to make a show not only entertaining, but profitable.

Hi Sean,

We already had a discussion about this almost a year ago, after the Cirque du Soleil pyrotechnic tribute that fell very short of the expectations of many members here. Some people said exactly what you just said, in that we should refrain from calling a show boring or mediocre because of the effort and the cost involved.

I didn't agree with that, and I still persist with this opinion.

It's not because we attend the biggest fireworks competition in the world that we have lost our ability to be impressed with more modest displays.

For instance, I've seen much smaller displays around Montreal in the past year that were a lot better choreographed and paced that the Ednor show, while their budget was certainly smaller. It all boils down to how the products are arranged together and how the designer is able to surprise us. Repetition != surprise, unfortunately.

Hell, even the consumer product shows from the CFA (with a very modest budget) were much more entertaining and surprising in my opinion that what was shot from La Ronde last weekend (I've seen both events later on video, so there is no implied preference because I'd have assisted live to one and not the other).

La Ronde site is big and the closest firing ramp is 100 m from the audience, so the display must be ramped up to be successful there. You can't expect to impress and entertain people by firing 6" shells once in a blue moon and filling the closest firing ramps only with cakes... Yet, on another site (Vieux-Port where some winter shows were fired in december comes to mind), 6" does just fine and is as impressing as a good old 12" fired from La Ronde.

As for the availability of the products : the aforementioned winter fireworks displays had a very nice assortment of products. Do you think that the companies that presented the displays had stockpiled these products from the past summer (I'd be interested to know) ?

STL

Page loading time (sec.): 0.025