Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› News —› [Montréal] 10th International Symposium on Firewor
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Last poster Message

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 18:42:07

Hi
i going at the place of canada at LaRonde this evening with the technical director of the display !! i really hope a pretty nice show today

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 19:06:52

Salvapower - any idea when a decision will be made?

Thanks.

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 19:37:22

I would really like to know also. The weather is just crazy, and its killing me because I don't think I'm going to go. Hearing that it will be put off till tomorrow would be wonderful.

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 19:42:39

I'm going to be leaving at 8 and crossing my fingers that it is on for tonight - otherwise I'll have to take the trip all over again tomorrow night.

The thing I don't understand is how the Symposium can postpone the closing display on the last night of the Symposium. If it's tomorrow night, many Symposium guests won't be there to see it.

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 19:45:57

Well at this rate many symposium members won't be able to see it tonight either because they will be blown away in the storm thats going on right now.

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 19:46:33

doing a phone call...

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 19:51:33   Edited by: Enkil

I'm leaving at 8:30pm. I don't think it's going to be as bad as it is right now. I need a confirmation before 8:30pm. I hope it gets postponed though.

TRae, I can text msg you and let you know if they cancelled it after 8pm.

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 19:56:32

Thanks Enkil, I appreciate it a lot!

It's not bad at all here (anymore) in the West Island. There isn't much wind.

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 20:02:43

Nothing real official, as the one i spoke to (resp. of the jury 07) can't reach Martyne Gagnon. Though, she said that even though the members of the symp. are at the dinner there, other ppl from LaRonde majorly left. She really thinks it will be tomorrow.

I guess we'll have to rely on some more last-minute news. Can someone page '911', if it is taking place ? Number is : 514-401-7582.

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 20:05:18

...if only we had reloadable_shell number... being with the 'technical director of the display ', we would surely know !!!

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 20:07:32   Edited by: Enkil

nm.

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 23:50:46

Just got back from Brockville and man it looks like chaos on this thread, as it was out there. So what happened? Was it postponed? Seeing that there's no comments now, I guess not!

Coming back on the 401 was insane with all that heavy rain, and even the odd flash of lightning near Prescott. It did rain continuously down there and I knew it was heading NE towards Montreal with some pretty hard rains.

And Tyler, again, nice video. I personally loved the whistling going on after the finale.

Trav.

Posted: Oct 20, 2007 01:03:02   Edited by: Enkil

What a night!

It didn't start until around 10:30pm. That's a 45 minutes delay! But it ended at 11:30pm. And it was pouring rain during that time with the wind increasing and diminishing. Well, there were only five people on Notre Dame street: TRae, canuck, some guy (maybe from the forum?), his little son and myself lol.

I personally liked the first two displays. The first one is probably my favourite. The 20min display (I think it was the third one) was too long and some parts were boring, but maybe I felt this way due to the weather and all the craziness around me. The final show was also nice. The finales weren't too bad, and I really liked how the show ended (Panzera?). Once again, I loved watching and feeling those salutes! There were many interesting effects. Also, I heard some weird, but kewl noises coming from some effects. I've never heard them before, maybe they were new pieces?

Anyway, this is definitely one night to remember. It kinda reminded me to last year's Pyjama fireworks!

Posted: Oct 20, 2007 01:11:38   Edited by: TRae

Odd, I figured that I would get home and somebody would have posted some news. In any case, I arrived at 9:15 - a supposed half hour before the displays were to begin. Tonight, in the rain, we were 5 spectators (beating Wednesday's record of 7 was too ambitious). Thank heavens we were a patient bunch, because the first display went off shortly after 10:30. The finale from the 4th display ended shortly after 11:30! I would say that each display had it's strong points - and the 3rd was a solid 20 minutes long! I believe my favourite was the second display.

I hope Paul can fill us in on which company is associated with each.

I will have to cut this short as I need to get to bed. I'm going into school early tomorrow to work on a project so i will not be able to do anything with tonight's videos until, likely, late tomorrow night (after the hockey game).

I hope you all have the patience that we displayed tonight!

Edit: Looks like you were quicker on the draw Enkil!

Posted: Oct 20, 2007 02:26:27

Thank you, Enkil and Tyler, for the comments! So much for the weather-proof fireworks barrier. I just went offline with Enkil, and he mentioned to me that tonight reminded him quite a bit of Canada 1995, which also occurred to my mind as well while I was watching the weather situation today. I'm just glad that all of you were prepared for the abysmal weather, but thankfully it was mild and humid, to say the least.

The winds were a bit variable this evening, and generally weaker than was expected. I recorded about a 10-15 km/h range from the South and West at approximately 9-10 and 10-11 p.m, so that was good news for the fireworks, although I learned, according to Enkil, that there was a lot of smoke accumulations present tonight due to the elevated moisture and damper air. The winds themselves will pick up through today, as we are now behind the cold front.

And Tyler, I, as always, look forward to your videos. Good luck with that project! I'm glad that you guys had an enjoyable evening, despite the weather and the subsequent delay in the show. It goes to show that not even the weather can stop true pyrofreaks!

Trav.

Posted: Oct 20, 2007 09:01:24

Wow, you guys went crazy on the forum!

Dreadful as the weather was, it wasn't the reason for the late start. We were just all slow eaters!

The order of the displays was:

Pirotecnia Caballer (Spain - no music)
Pirico (Italy)
Glorious Group (China)
La Ronde (Effectively the Pyjama day fireworks)
Panzera SAS (Italy)

If only there had been more wind - it was really very smoky but it did clear a bit towards the end. The displays were excellent and people made a lot of comments about Pirico and Glorious (especially with Patrice Guy's competition-level choreography). It was quite eerie say in my usual seat without the usual crowds around - we all missed Michel Lacroix's inimitable countdown too! Still, a great time was had by all and the weather certainly didn't dampen anyone's spirits (as my headache this morning attests).

Paul.

Posted: Oct 20, 2007 12:06:20

Salut

Je n'allais certes pas manquer cà. Finallement je suis allé sur la Rive sud juste derrière le site de la Ronde près de la piste cyclable.
Au moins on pouvait regarder les feux en demeurant dans l'auto.
Près de nous il y avait ces gens dans une Camry beige. Le gars
semblait filmer le spectacle. Je me suis dit que cà devait être une gars de ce site.
Le tout a débuté avec un retard mais après nonobstant la plusie et parfois le foutu panache de fumée, nous avons adoré le spectacle.
Vraiment de belles présentations des firmes participantes et c'est le fun plusieurs finales.Les feux ont attiré des spectateurs autour de nous les vrais maniaques.Malheureusement certains quittaient prenant pour acquis que c'était terminé.Or il y avait juste une pause entre chacune des prestations.
Nous avons été comblés par ce spectacle magique de presque 60 minutes.
Next....les feux Telus de décembre et nous y serons. Avec le froid et la neige c'est spécialement beau et encore plus poétique.

Roger

Posted: Oct 20, 2007 18:35:54

Alright, here is display # 1 from last night: Pirotecnia Caballer (Spain - no music)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7nzkos2uaw

Enjoy!

Posted: Oct 20, 2007 19:32:57

Here is Pirico's display:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dRPhua0V4Q

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w7uJ0eOtu0

I will try to post as many of the remaining displays as possible tonight.

Posted: Oct 21, 2007 12:55:55   Edited by: Fuji

Noticed the red and green lightning shells by Pirico? Met the guy who makes them...

And note the different colors the Italians offer...

edit
Caballer also has red and green lightnings but not same as Pirico's... Must be different formulations... yes, definitely different formulation....

Posted: Oct 21, 2007 13:17:48

Nice videos, as always, Tyler. You can clearly hear the rain in the background as well, and of course the smoke accumulations seem most prevalent in the last clip there. As Fuji pointed out, I too was enamored by the rapid red and green flashes. I was also quite excited about the use of the various bright salutes, shell of shells and multi-breakers combinations seen, while interspersed with some huge farfalle shells. The lower effects in all clips were excellent, though it's a shame that some of them were blocked out by smoke in the latter clip of Pirico's display.

On a final note, in part 1 of Pirico's display, I honestly never heard such a distinctive, and funny noise coming from those kinds of shells at the beginning! I hope to see the firm participate in the Montreal fireworks competition in the near future.

Thanks again, Tyler.

Trav.

Posted: Oct 21, 2007 19:00:04

On a final note, in part 1 of Pirico's display, I honestly never heard such a distinctive, and funny noise coming from those kinds of shells at the beginning! I hope to see the firm participate in the Montreal fireworks competition in the near future.

They've used this effect during their demo in Berlin... Forgot the name of this effect. I also wanted to say that those were good and unique...

Posted: Oct 21, 2007 20:55:42   Edited by: fireworksforum

Those distinctive noises are made by "hummers". There's nothing new or unusual about them - Brocks of England were famous for them about 100 years ago! They are made of small tubes with a hole in that spin very fast on-axis - it is the spinning that gives them the distinctive sound.

Paul.

Posted: Oct 22, 2007 15:11:21   Edited by: TRae

Hey all,

I've had lots of fun today, watching over the final "two and a half" displays that I had not posted yet. Again, I warn you, YouTube's compression totally takes away from what I'm seeing on my full digital videos copies - but you can at least take a look and decide what you'd like to download when they appear as "member only videos."

Glorious Group's 20 minute display:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dE2WbvJ6mY

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoSMoKgySs8

La Ronde/Panzera SAS (the first couple of minutes is La Ronde's 'leftover' display. My question: Are all of the annual Pyjama Day displays this good??):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vUZ9oEHhn8

Enjoy!

Posted: Oct 22, 2007 21:12:45

^^^

Superbe! You could tell, though, that alot of the shells were marred by a seriously thick area of dense smoke, making some of them looking like hemispheres and other effects, including shells, totally inconspicuous in part 1 of Glorious Group's display. Part 2 was pretty cool in that there were some nice colors used in a mix while in good tempo, though the latter piece was a little redundant in firing with the alternating single and double shells above the cracklers of green, red and light purple ball stars at mid level. The finales were pretty neat, and the one in the final clip reminded me a lot of the Panzera finisher structure seen in 2003.

I've heard from viewers here, with regards to the Pyjama fireworks, that they tend to be pretty good overall, especially in 2004 where a lot of material was left over, particularly (I believe) from Caballer. I've only started hearing about the event as of 2003, though - I'm not sure if it was taking place prior to that.

And thanks, Paul, for the explanation on those distinctive noises. Are these sorts of techniques implemented to create other similar noises that we commonly hear for other effects?

Trav.

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 07:55:39

Merci à ceux qui ont capté et mis en ligne des vidéos de ces deux soirées de feux. J'en ai regardé quelques-uns et je visionnerai les autres au cours des prochains jours. L'horaire tardif des feux, les piètres conditions météorologiques vendredi soir et un agenda par ailleurs chargé ces jours-ci m'ont dissuadé d'assister à ces spectacles, non sans hésitations et déchirements...

La Ronde/Panzera SAS (the first couple of minutes is La Ronde's 'leftover' display. My question: Are all of the annual Pyjama Day displays this good??)

Certaines années, les feux des pyjamas ont été très intéressants. Cet événement, amorcé en 1999 avec des feux traditionnels puis poursuivi avec des feux pyromusicaux à compter de 2001, était en train de devenir une nouvelle tradition qui attirait beaucoup de spectateurs à La Ronde. Elle a été interrompue l'an dernier à la suite de compressions budgétaires mal gérées et elle n'a pas été reprise cette année, bien que des publicités radiophoniques annonçaient encore l'événement le week-end même de sa tenue.

Il est vraiment dommage que le grand public ait été privé d'un feu des pyjamas à la faveur de quelques professionnels réunis en symposium et qui, de toute façon, allaient voir des spectacles pyrotechniques faits par diverses firmes.

Est-ce là toute l'estime que La Ronde a pour son public?

Frédérick

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 08:52:05

Than kyou very much Trae for the videos... I think you did a gret effeort to show us the shows!!! (cause it was rainning, right?)

The Panzeras finale is really good.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 12:10:10

Well it was really nice meeting everyone on Friday. I can`t believe we waited in the rain for 2 hours lol. It was well worth it though. All my friends thought I was nuts when I told them what I did.

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 19:41:44

Près de nous il y avait ces gens dans une Camry beige.

Salut,

Et oui c'était nous qui tourner un peu en rond Roger, je pense que vous étiez dans un Corolla si je ne me trompe pas. En tout cas, nous avions bien aimé le spectacle malgré la fumé. Au moins nous étions dans le comfort de nos autos =)

Jeff

Posted: Oct 24, 2007 21:30:56

Salut JTF

Oui une Corolla noire. ...La prochaine fois que je vois ta camry nous irons nous présenter. Il n'y avait que les vrais passionnés pour assister à ces feux ...dans des conditions pareilles. J'imagine à quel point le spectacle aurait été super bon avec une belle température.

Roger
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>

Page loading time (sec.): 0.022