Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› Weather Cooperation (or not) for Summer 2008.
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 23, 2008 15:19:08

Things seem to be, unfortunately, falling into place with my last report. A severe thunderstorm watch is currently in place for virtually the entire island of Montreal. There is a great amount of windshear currently in the the Southern Quebec region, and moisture levels are, as mentioned before, rather high, so I'm not surprised in the least that Environment Canada prompted the watch. I also believe that the East end experienced a strong storm with reports of a funnel cloud in that area, perhaps about an hour and a half ago. Most of the cells out there are light to moderate in nature, but as I had predicted, quite a few impressive isolated and clustered cells have already ignited within the last few hours, one of which hit the Eastern part of the Island. I've been picking up some mean-looking cells coming from the expected S-SW direction since just before noon, and hence the recent t-storm watch.

This watch is in effect until the early evening hours, though the timespan could extend itself because of the high moisture values continuing into the evening - I'll keep an eye on that, but most of these cells should lose their punch after sunset anyway.

Equipt yourselves with light jackets - not so much because of the air being periodically a tad on the cool side (it will stay fairly humid anyway), but rather because they will come in handy in the event of rain, or whatever form of showers. These storms are hit and miss, which is why there's the chance for rain and storms all day, but the steadier rainfall will come later this evening, most especially into the overnight into most of tomorrow (and hence the larger P.O.P).

Fortunately, winds are coming out from the SE currently and again will be at an ideal speed while maintaining that direction (sometimes Easterlies as well), so even light rain showers, should they occur, won't do much in the way of ruining the show. Winds, however, serve virtually no purpose under heavier rain conditions.

Anyhow, that's the way the weather works. This is probably the longest episode of consecutive days with instability I've seen in a long time.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 23, 2008 15:44:18

Travis - thank you very much for the update.

I was wondering if you could give us an idea about how persistant you expect the rain to be. Do the odds indicate that if it rains, we will see it continue for extended periods or is it more likely that we see isolated, on again/off again rianfall?

Posted: Jul 23, 2008 15:52:34

Watching the radar there seems to be a line of storms moving along the St Lawrence from Kingston and another set over the Adirondacks to the south. Hopefully they'll get themselves over and done with before 10pm - like happened last night. The good news is that it's been pretty dry for the final day of setup so everything should be OK even if it rains early this evening.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 23, 2008 17:57:28

TRae,

Before the overnight hours approach, the rain and thunderstorm cells along the low's warm front will be widely isolated, but following this time frame, that rains will become increasingly persistent, and there's the possibility that it could begin into the later evening hours as well.

As Paul mentioned, there are/were some strong cells pushing in from the South onto highway 401 between Cornwall up till Trenton (warnings are in place for several counties at this point). However, because of the system's position and motion, and because of the general counterclockwise circulation around low pressure, we need to moreso pay attention to the cells developing towards the South and the extreme Southwest direction. At this point, due to the current movement of rain bands, everything else being constant, there's a reasonable chance that we may just encounter mainly cloudy conditions for the evening (with the risk of thunderstorms or showers), but these bands are also showing some signs of curving gently towards the NW even though they are predominantly moving out towards the NE, which is why I'm still keeping an eye out.

In short, showers and thunderstorms are developing in clusters and will do so up till most of this evening while behaving in an isolated manner. The more persistent bands of precipitation are most likely to commence overnight, but possibly during the late evening as well. If they do occur this evening, then I personally believe that they will be persistent given the very nature of warm fronts.

The weather watch still remains, but it's clear that most of the severe weather is in Eastern Ontario.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 24, 2008 18:35:02

There's a line of thunderstorms coming through right now. Take a good look at the storm structure and its distinctively shelf cloud - this is indicative of powerful updrafts and possibly large hail, and of course, the chance for a weak tornado developing.

I was just out storm chasing for a little, but I beat the storm back to Montreal.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 24, 2008 23:33:38

A low pressure system, this time coming in from the Prairies, is going to be quickly pushing Eastward and making its way into the Eastern portion of the country. Because of the shifting jet stream pattern by end week, the system will slow down and eventually become temporarily blocked off. As a result, once again, atmospheric instability will be set in place and thus will create clusters of isolated showers and thunderstorms across mainly Southern Ontario, as well as here into Southern Quebec - some of these cells could once again reach severe limits due to increasing atmospheric moisture and a steady Southwesterly flow. Temperatures are also expected to increase towards the higher 20's while the SW flow will usher in a little more additional moisture, so things will get more onto the sticky side.

Unlike the system that affected Canada last night, these are not expected to be persistent rain showers, but rather the risk of thunderstorms and convective rainfall throughout the day, including possibly the evening and overnight hours as well. This pattern holds true for Sunday as well.

A further update will come later tomorrow, but I'm confident that the atmosphere will behave in this manner. Fortunately, days like this tend to have a fair amount of sunshine. But if ya like it hot and humid, then this weekend's your weekend!

And btw, guys, the funnel cloud that I had touched on briefly yesterday (the 23rd) actually touched down and became a tornado, except over the water, so we call this a waterspout instead. Take a look at these stunning images here:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/your_weather/photos_your_weather/0

I particularly like the picture with the twister seen in the distance while you can see the good old Jacques Cartier bridge as well. Excellent shots and video footage. I also have some video of today's impressive storm cloud if anyone is interested - I'll be uploading it real soon.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 26, 2008 02:25:57

As always, being consistent with my last report for tonight's display, I believe that this will be another night to have your umbrellas handy.

To briefly reiterate what was said before, a soon to be pesky large Prairie low pressure system, who's center in situated well to the North, will eventually slow down due to modifications in the jet stream pattern - the system has already been very slow moving, as a result. More to the point, accompanying the low is an upper level trough extending well down South into Southern Ontario and Ohio and eventually through to Southern Quebec. Troughs, like frontal systems, act to enhance atmospheric instability and therefore providing the necessary lift for severe thunderstorms to develop from Southwestern Ontario all the way up to the Eastern Townships. The risk in Southern Quebec will arrive moreso into the afternoon hours and through the evening as moisture levels are definitely going to remain high. Severe weather also exists in part because there is decent windshear in the atmosphere over the course of the next 24 hours.

May I remind you that these are not persistent bands of precipitation, as what was seen during the system coming up from New York during Canada's display. This is rather isolated clusters of thunderstorm cells and convective rainfall forming in a ubiquitous manner throughout the day. I suspect that Environment Canada will issue t-storm watches sporadically today in both Ontario and Quebec, but again, most of the severe will die off by around sunset and following that point. However, decent thunderstorm activity is still very well possible during all of the evening hours and the early overnight hours.

In the end, it is best to have your umbrellas handy, as well as a light jacket. The jacket is moreso handy in the event of whatever rainfall, not because of the air frequently being cool - the complete opposite, in fact. Convectional rains are often heavier than just regular persistent rain showers, so do keep that in mind, should they occur. Again, highs will be in the very high 20's, possibly cracking 30 C (depending on how much sun we get), and it will be more humid than it has been for some time (humidex values still well into 30's in the evening), courtesy of the abundant moisture present. Winds will most likely be coming out of the S and mostly SW given the positioning of the isobars in the models. Speeds should be ideal between 15-25 km/h, but please note that they will be a little gusty during the day (some gusts reaching closer to 40-45 km/h).

Other than that, the UV index is relatively high tomorrow, so do take the necessary precautions if you're expected to be outdoors for extended periods.

We'll keep an eye to the sky during the day - it is shaping up to be one of those July severe weather watch days.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 26, 2008 18:52:48   Edited by: Smoke

Well, we had some steady on and off convective rainfall, along with some embedded thunder and lightning, from that first wave of preciptation associated with the upper level trough. The next wave moving in from Eastern and Southern Ontario is to do with the associated cold front, so there's still the chance for some rainfall and thunderstorms to move in the next few hours once the front advances closer to the region. Most of the severe weather is state's side, but there are some cells behind this upcoming cluster of clouds and embedded cells that are worth watching - these clouds will be making an entrance momentarily. There's a chance that we could see mainly cloudy conditions, but the risk of storms and rainfall is there, of course. Fortunately, however, behind this cluster, things are clearing out substantially, so we may actually be alright in time for the fireworks once this secondary wave comes through. Still though, isolated thunderstorms are possible till midnight and just slightly into the overnight.

Notice the temperatures have dropped off quite a bit following the rain, as well as the winds dying off quite a bit - such is to be expected, but the humidity will return during the evening. Winds will be lighter at about 10-15 km/h as opposed to the 15-25 km/h (this is due to the increase in speed of the front). The direction remains the same.

Unfortunately, Wednesday's forecast is another risky one since another system is coming up from the U.S midwest. As usual, we'll keep an eye on it.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 28, 2008 15:45:50

Referring back to my closing comment from before, Wednesday's forecast is calling for returning unstable weather. We're still dealing with a somewhat zonal jet stream pattern, and this is partly why it has been such a heavily convective July across many regions of Northern North America. In any case, this coming Praririe system is quite organized and will be easily propelled due to this configuration, so in essence the models are currently suggesting that at this speed, the risk for once again isolated showers and thunderstorms will develop along and ahead of the cold frontal boundary by late morning in Southern Quebec and persist up until early overnight.

I suspect that most of the day will be dry given this type of atmospheric scenario, but as the front advances, convective showers and t-storms will develop sporadically along and well out ahead of it for the afternoon and evening. With this sort of weather pattern in mind, we will see a fair bit of sunshine for most of the day, and winds will likely be in the form of Southerlies and Southwesterlies. Although it's not suggested as much yet in the models, I believe that winds will be a little gusty at times (from the same direction(s)) as the front gradually moves into the region through the day, perhaps identical in speeds as what we have seen back during Austria's display and through that day.

For now, an upper level trough is still providing the instability necessary for thunderstorms and showers to develop today, but tomorrow (Tuesday) is, courtesy of high of pressure, going to be quite fair with a mix of sun and cloud with relatively dry conditions, so if you don't like the extreme heat and humidity, then tomorrow's your day. Wednesday onwards it's back to that warm, moist and unstable atmosphere, which is my personal favorite kind of weather.

Another report will come either tomorrow or into early Wednesday, as well as, if needed, some following up on the tracking of cells on Wednesday itself.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 28, 2008 15:58:59

Thanks for the early update Trav. Hopefully the States will have Austria's luck and if it is to rain at 10:00 pm on Wednesday, it will be 2 minutes after the dislay has ended like this past weekend (that was amazing wasn't it?)

On the bright side (pun partially intended), The Weather Network's forcast makes Saturday the 2nd look to be a nice day for China's display - yes, it ought to be Sunny for Sunny (that pun was totally intended).

It would be nice to get back to worry-free weather after the conditions surrounding the previous two displays.

Tyler

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 15:35:55

Latest weather for tomorrow from Environment Canada is looking better:

Wednesday
Day: Sunny with cloudy periods. High 28. UV index 8 or very high.
Night: Cloudy. A few showers beginning near midnight. Low 19.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 15:59:14

Rocco's enthusiasm has perhaps rubbed off on Mother Nature.

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 22:46:06

Good evening,

Building onto what was mentioned before in my last message, a cold front, associated with a Prairie low, is quickly making its way Eastward from Southern and Eastern Ontario and closely entering our region towards the late evening and predominantly the overnight hours.

As the warm sector of air moves into Southern Quebec earlier in the day, moist warm air will gradually build in and instability will soon be prompted to develop. As a result, we'll be having a mostly sunny (with increasing cloudiness later on) and moderately humid day, along with temperature highs ranging between 26-29 Celsius. With the moisture content, it will feel more like the mid 30's during the afternoon. However, despite what most of the forecasts are illustrating, once that warm front comes through, I personally wouldn't rule out the chance for isolated showers and thunderstorms to develop later tomorrow afternoon into the evening.

With respect to the evening hours, temperatures will remain between 23-25 C with lingering humidity, making it feel into the low 30's or high 20's - likely the latter. Seeing that the front is closing in, you will most surely notice the more partly cloudy-overcasted pattern along with more threatening looking clouds becoming more rampant in the sky by the early evening. This will also mean that winds will be breezy at times between 15-25 km/h coming largely from the S-SE. Through the day itself, you will notice large towering cumulus clouds also forming in the afternoon because of the instability present (and hence the "cloudy periods" that you're currently seeing in the various forecast outputs). Overall, though, the weather tomorrow will be nice, so enjoy it, but just be aware of these other little variables at the same time.

That's the way the weather should work. Fortunately, because of the front nearing the region during the evening, we are mostly dealing with the risk of thunderstorms and convective rains before they become more persistent in development during the overnight, in which case, it could be a noisy one tomorrow overnight. As a result, it would be good to have your umbrellas, once more, on standby, just in case of anything - it is very unstable at that time. I checked the atmospheric dynamics for tomorrow with regards to instability, and some storms in both Quebec and especially Ontario are potentially capable of reaching severe limations as well.

And as Paul quoted from EC, the UV index is very high tomorrow, but you guys know the drill when it comes to that.

TRae - Indeed, it would be most appropriate to have sunny weather for Sunny International, who is representing China this Saturday. I'm still watching the forecast models carefully, but it could be another unstable weekend. I suppose that in the meantime we should be of good cheer and say that we will have worry-free weather. It's amazing because only one display out of eight (South Korea) had their day of presentation completely free of any threats of rain whatsoever. I was right to say this Summer would be a busy one, weatherwise.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 13:16:35

Good afternoon,

Everything in my last post still holds true. The only little modification I'd like to make is to the winds. Mostly Southeasterlies to occasional shifts to Easterlies still remains, but the speeds are generally a little lighter in nature, ranging from 10-15 km/h, although I wouldn't rule out the possibility of seeing periodic moderate winds as the front gets progressively closer.

Now, the clouds, as expected, have already begun to creep into our region (although a little earlier than I initially thought), and there are large clustered convectional rain cells developing to our West and Southwest associated with the cold front, and are already moving in this direction. This means that we could see some on and off pesky showers and embedded thundershowers for within the next hour and onwards - it's already raining cats and dogs in Ottawa.

Oh yes, as large as my previous post was, I did forget to mention to also bring a light jacket, in addition to an umbrella, in case of rainfall. I'll continue to monitor the cells as the front nears. Temperatures will be from 22-23 Celsius, but it will feel a little warmer with the humidity.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 16:13:45

I hope to avoid the rain tonight (at least, during the show), especially that it will be my 125th in-park Montreal competition display!

Fred

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 16:18:30

I hope to avoid the rain tonight (at least, during the show), especially that it will be my 125th in-park Montreal competition display!

The radar doesn't look too bad - it will start to rain shortly but should stop in less than an hour.

Fred, you have me beat! Tonight will be my 123rd in-park display, for a total of 148 displays seen in total, the closing show being my 150th.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 16:53:09

The bands that are coming through currently are virtually decayed thunderstorm cells, and as they move in this direction, they fizzle out substantially, leaving us with nothing but a few light rain showers, for now.

Following this large widespread cloud, we will be entering a brief dry slot. As the front gradually advances, new cells will begin to emerge like popcorn on radar (this is the case in Southern and Eastern Ontario currently), so that's why we have the chance of showers and thunderstorms (some heavy) for the remainder of the day up until later tomorrow afternoon - it has nothing to do with this current cloud cluster. However, I can't help but wonder why the various forecasts say straight showers and/or storms...it's merely the chance of showers and storms tonight and this evening.

Anyhow, keep an eye to the sky.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 16:58:34   Edited by: fireworksforum

As the front gradually advances, new cells will begin to emerge like popcorn on radar (this is the case in Southern and Eastern Ontario currently), so that's why we have the chance of showers and thunderstorms (some heavy) for the remainder of the day up until later tomorrow afternoon -

True, but the cloud cover we have had for several hours has limited the daytime heating and surely this greatly reduced the possibility of convection leading to cell development this evening? I can see that storms will pop up tomorrow if the day starts out sunny but I would think the chances are diminished for this evening. At least, that's what the optimist in me is saying I've noticed the forecasts have been far too pessimistic recently - even for Canada's display (not your forecasts though Trav)

Paul.

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 17:43:43   Edited by: Smoke

Hi Paul,

I'm impressed. What you say is true with regards to the limits of daytime heating, but because we have a large amount of moisture currently present in the atmosphere, it easily compensates for this loss. If we get even small amounts of sun appearing elsewhere, as is the case in Eastern Ontario, it does also provide assistance to the already buoyant airmass. Notice the cells starting to already emerge, even though we're into the late afternoon hours.

Regardless, with cold fronts, they simply wedge up the warm moist air ahead of it and condense it rapidly into showers and possibly powerful thunderstorms. However, because of the fact that we're now getting into sunset, and therefore losing the sun, it limits thunderstorms from reaching severe criteria, or at least the chances of them reaching that level. This isn't always the case, though, because severe weather can still emerge during the evening/overnight hours depending on both the strength of the front and the amount of moisture out ahead of it (this is one prime reason behind frequent lightning). Cold fronts, in general, enhance instability because they supply a continuous flow of cool air at mid levels of the atmosphere, so this does generate persistent thunderstorms/thundershowers and convective rain cells to emerge pretty easily. In this case, this is a fairly strong cold front (not exceptionally strong, but strong nevertheless) and it can still generate some decent cells to develop.

As for the forecasts, I know they've been fairly pessimistic, but when we work with thunderstorms, it is often mostly associated with a "chance" or "risk", even if they say straight thunderstorms and what have you. This is because it is often difficult to predict precisely where thunderstorms will hit, as compared to straight showers. Notice that forecasts are often more accurate in the Winter in predicting snowstorms as compared with the unpredictable nature of thunderstorms. For me, predicting Canada's forecast was pretty easy merely because of the movement of the system.

And the cloud cover we've been seeing for most of today is not so much to do with the front itself - it is more of a "pre-frontal" system.

Edit: I'm sort of in an opposition with some of the forecasts mainly because of the sporadic behavior of these cells, and hence my issuing of the risk of showers and thunderstorms for tonight, as opposed to them being persistent. I'm expecting those winds to become moderate this evening as well at times.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 1, 2008 01:40:50   Edited by: Smoke

What can I say? Once more, unsettled weather still remains a key player for the next little while. With respect to China's presentation day, a system coming in from the US midwest will eventually merge with this almost stationary low that has been plaguing us with persistently unstable weather since the American performance. Exiting Southern Ontario by the early afternoon hours, this newly combined low will create instability for Eastern Ontario, Southern Quebec and the Western Maritimes come Saturday into most of Sunday, and so showers and thunderstorms are certainly going to pop up. Fortunately, I'm not really expecting the persistent type of rain associated with this, nor am I so much anticipating as many storms to be reaching severe limits as compared to previous times under these kinds of conditions (although there will be some popping up remotely), but for the most part, cells will be in the form of relatively widespread showers and light-moderate t-storms.

There will be a decent amount of moisture present, and temperatures will likely be reaching no more than 26 C. I expect North-Northwesterlies occasionally to surface according to the isobars in the models, so this may have a tendency to cause some smoke to sometimes blow towards the audience at La Ronde - I'll keep an eye on this though. Other than that, I've got a feeling it's going to be another night to have your umbrellas and jackets (moreso in case of rain and also this time because it may be a touch on the cool side) on standby.

With this kind of forecast, it makes 8/9 competitors having the risk for showers and thunderstorms this season - Canada being the only one, so far, with rains during their display. I hope the heavy rains and storms we had in the West Island didn't go off to the greater Montreal area and disrupt any of the setup process at the fireworks site for team China. Today, it's more of the same with showers and the risk for thunderstorms to develop during the day into the evening hours.

Anyhow, that's the way the weather should work over the course of the next 72+ hours.

Edit: As mentioned in the USA review thread, be sure to look out for footage of the stunning total and partial solar eclipse - quite something to see.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 1, 2008 17:49:24   Edited by: fireworksforum

Once again the weather was much better today than the pessimistic forecasts we've being seeing from Environment Canada and MeteoMedia. I did read somewhere that Environment Canada, in particular, is suffering poor forecasts because budget cutbacks means they can't keep their computers up to date. It seems that they are having trouble forecasting more than 1 day ahead with any degree of accuracy. Perhaps this is because there's more energy in the system now due to global warming or maybe it's just a La Nina artifact. Either way, the accuracy the past few years has got steadily worse.

In terms of media-based forecasters, I find Pascal Iovakis to be pretty accurate most of the time. He's on RDI and CBC radio 1 in the mornings.

Paul.

Posted: Aug 1, 2008 19:36:24   Edited by: Smoke

Once again the weather was much better today than the pessimistic forecasts we've being seeing from Environment Canada and MeteoMedia

Ah, the challenges for the meteorologist during this season. They've both issued the risk of showers and thunderstorms, and it's understandable as to why they did given the airmass. However, I agree that both organizations have the notion of being pessimistic with their forecasts during the Summer (as do all, in general), but again this is mostly due to the very unpredictable nature of convectional rains and thunderstorms - it has always been some of the greatest challenges in the realm of forecasting to predict precisely where t-storm cells, in particular, will occur only until they actually begin to develop and give off heat signatures that are detected by satellite as cloud tops - this is one reason we have storm chasers out there conducting research to study the behavior and dynamics of severe weather to maximize warning times for public safety.

As mentioned before, days that are usually unstable tend to be overall pleasant and at the same time you commonly see those clouds starting to swell up in the sky - possible the best proof of instability. In today's case, indeed it was a beautiful today, but that doesn't necessarily mean that storms weren't out there at all - they are all around us currently, even as I write this, and even since before noon (because of daytime heating and moisture). The fact is again that it is difficult to predict this kind of weather, and hence the reason behind issuing the chances or risks (usually associated with a "watch box" encompassing the most favorable areas ) - today was another example of just that. In one instance, if one is to say that there's a 40% chance of a thunderstorm in Montreal, this means that in any random location within the forecasted region has the chance of seeing a thunderstorm - we've seen that kind of behavior quite a bit this Summer on the island of Montreal or around the island itself. Of course, they may not happen at all, but there's always that risk.

Perhaps this is because there's more energy in the system now due to global warming or maybe it's just a La Nina artifact

I don't think global warming has anything to do with it since most models are designed to accomodate for a changing climate associated with a gradual rise (or decline) in temperature, in addition to predicting radical daily fluctuations in temperature, particularly during the Winter. Plus, the effects of global warming won't have much influence on a daily basis since they are relatively miniscule on such a small timescale as compared with more long term predictions over the next 5-10 years, for example, in which case, global warming is significant. Maybe not so much La Nina either since it has weakened considerably and reached a neutral state during early July.

In any case, before constructing my own forecasts, I tend to first carefully review all the available precipitation, helicity, and dewpoint models and then run a series of simulations that directly attempt to predict future forecasts for the short term - I then take the average of these simulations (like an ensemble forecast) and state the best estimated predictions. Another method I employ is simply to assess all the forecast outputs given by several large meteorological networks, and then sort of build on that while overlooking the obvious large margins of errors seen in their estimations. It's amazing to consider the sheer difficulty, especially with today's sophisticated tehchnology, although the forecaster's tools have advanced sharply in just the last 10 years.

I find it interesting that EC is experiencing budget cutbacks. Do you have the link(s) to this?

Trav.

Posted: Aug 2, 2008 13:50:11   Edited by: Smoke

Good afternoon,

My last report for our final competitor. Everything still stands firm from my last analysis a couple days ago. As a quick recap, the weather is widely unsettled. Now let me make it clear that "unsettled" doesn't automatically mean rain - rather it means that the atmosphere is unstable (just look at those clouds outside) and therefore is conducive for the potential for showers and thunderstorms to develop anywhere from Quebec City all the way SW to Hamilton, Ontario - a very buoyant airmass, something we are quite familiar with this Summer. Let's also not forget that days with instability heavily involve pleasant conditions for the majority of those particular days, despite how threatening the word "instability" may sound. Being consistent, I spotted a fairly strong storm cell in North-central parts of the island not too long ago - this is the pattern across many regions in Ontario and Quebec.

In any case, this evening's/afternoon's forecast is calling for the risk for thunderstorms and convective showers to continue to develop, persisting for the remainder of the day tomorrow. The cells are coming out from S-SW due to the configuration of the system - almost similar to Canada's weather). Temperatures are going to remain into the low 20's (around 21-23 C) with some mild humidity. The only thing I'd like to change slightly are the winds - they are predominantly out from the E, but may occasionally shift towards the North. The speeds are fairly light as well at about 10 km/h, which is a little bit of concern with respect to smoke accumulations due to humidity.

That's the way the weather should work, but again it would be good to have your umbrellas on stanby, as well as a light jacket or light sweater.

Still got to watch that forecast for Wednesday - it is currently a tricky one because of the jet stream, but I'll provide more details on that as we approach the day.

Edit: In addition to the above, there are several severe thunderstorm watches in place for Eastern Ontario and in Southern/Eastern Quebec. Montreal is not included in this, but I wouldn't be surprised if the city becomes a part of it later on. Either way, severe weather will settle by this evening.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 2, 2008 16:52:32

Just one last update, but it looks like we may get some slightly occasional moderate winds (at about 10-15 km/h - occasional breezes crossing over 20 km/h), although still variable between the East-Northeast. Of course, with thunderstorms, the winds do briefly pick up due to downdrafts, but again, we're under the risk for decent storms this evening.

For everything else, please refer to my post above.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 5, 2008 01:03:52   Edited by: Smoke

Good evening,

Wednesday's weather is a little complicated since it involves a combination of things, but what is mainly going to happen is that the precipitation associated with a warm front from a system moving Eastward South of the Canadian/American border is combining with another system's cold front that is affecting us to the N-NW - these two will merge to become one. There will be on and off steady rains and embedded thunderstorms developing with this coalesced low beginning through the overnight period tonight into the mid-late morning and gradually picking up through the afternoon Wednesday. The evening is a little tricky because yet another system is slowly developing and could merge quickly with this already combined low. This could very well be a problem, but of course it will depend on how fast these two systems become a larger single system - I will certainly keep an eye on this. Overall, though, the risk for rains and thunderstorms exists during Wednesday's evening hours regardless if this merges on time or not.

Temperatures this week are expected to be a little on the cool side due to the introduction of more Northerly-Northeasterly winds, but moisture levels will still definitely remain high. I have a feeling that jackets (especially with the slightly cooler air) and umbrellas may once again be needed to close off this year's competition.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 6, 2008 01:04:32

Keeping track with the last update, rains and possibly embedded thunderstorms (there is some electrical activity associated with some of these cells) are well on the way tonight (just momentarily within the next hour or so) through to tomorrow afternoon. Some of these bands of precipitation are capable of producing 3/4 of an inch of rain to over an inch (~25 mm+) in less than an hour's time, so prepare yourselves for a wet start to the day into a fair portion of the afternoon.

Regarding the evening, I'm expecting the winds to drop off a little bit from their more slightly gusty nature during this afternoon. The wind direction is a little tricky to forecast, but I'm personally anticipating a gradual shift in direction from the NE-ENE, much like it is now and has been throughout yesterday (Tuesday). With respect to speeds, I think they will be relatively light as we get into the later evening hours, but there could be occasional moderate breezes reaching close to 20 km/h

Temperatures will be unseasonably cool with highs reaching the high teens into the low 20's (18-21 C) - quite steady through the day (evening included). Moisture levels will remain high, but with respect to rains, by the time the later evening rolls around, I personally believe that we will be facing mostly overcasted conditions with some lingering on and off light rain showers (nothing like during the day, fortunately), as well as the risk of a thunderstorm.

That's the way the weather should work. Again, umbrellas and jackets are necessary. If I notice any changes in wind behavior, I'll post a report solely covering that.

What a wild and busy season this was - 90% of the performances had the threat of unsettled weather. Fortunately, the setup days for Panzera weren't too bad, but I'm more concerned for today's schedule.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 6, 2008 15:16:32

Good day,

Well, I was expecting a few sunny breaks on and off, and really, it is nice to see the place become so bright and pleasant. However, this does favor the development of more rainfall (and the risk for t-storms), as has been the case following the first appearance of the sun this afternoon. So far, we've accumulated almost 20 mm rain, which falls close to the range that was initially expected (much of which has fallen from the small thunderstorm early this morning). The reason why this area of low pressure is stationary is because it is being blocked off by a strong high pressure ridge North of Newfoundland, so that's why the periods of rain are persistent as opposed to just moving East-Northeastward as we commonly see in North America.

In any case, once more, I'm expecting mostly cloudy conditions this evening with the chance for some lingering on and off showers as well as the risk of a non-severe thunderstorm. Temperatures will remain in the range I specified before, so you'll need your jackets, as well as umbrellas (or whatever it is you use to shelter yourself) in the event of showers.

Finally, regarding the winds, because of the configuration of the system, I'm again expecting speeds to be predominantly light in nature - I ran a few simulations and the models are suggesting speeds between 4-8 knots, which is measurably anywhere from ~7 to 15 km/h. The wind direction itself, again because of the configuration of the system, is shifting from the ENE to a more WSW (this has been the case since 1:00 p.m. this afternoon), so at times there maybe some smoke blowing towards the audience at La Ronde. Similarly, because of the overall light winds and still persistent humidity, there may occasionally be smoke accumulations building up, particularly during the moments when the show becomes more active.

Looks like my business is done here for the season. Whew! What a Summer! Of course, if there are any major weather/space events down the line, I'll be sure to post them here briefly.

Enjoy Panzera, and let's hope we get the chance to scream our lungs out tonight, just like in the good old 90's!

Trav.

Posted: Aug 6, 2008 15:23:24

Once again the main weather forecast was overly pessimistic - they were forecasting rain to start last evening, yet it was gorgeous out (pity the show couldn't have been last night). And then it didn't really start raining until 5am and there was much less than the 40mm they were predicting would fall by this morning. So I'm going to stick with me own optimistic forecast that it will rain at some point this evening and then clear out ala China for the show this evening, though with much smoke

What a year - and a big thanks to Trav for his tireless weather detective work!

Paul.

Posted: Aug 6, 2008 18:24:39   Edited by: Smoke

Hi Paul,

it didn't really start raining until 5am and there was much less than the 40mm they were predicting would fall by this morning.

I know. I wasn't too sure why they established such a heavy load of rain to fall in such a small amount of time - I think it was under the assumption that the cells would remain strong and produce copious amounts of rain once they had moved in last night, but clearly these stayed well South of the border. I know that some of the cells were capable of dumping close to an inch of rain in one hour last night into the day today, and this was the case in some parts of Montreal and adjacent regions - some parts of the island and closely elsewhere have received over 50 mm (~2 inches) through the day today - parts of the West Island have received close to 40 mm as well, though just not falling by this morning as, I believe, Environment Canada had forecasted - this was a surprise to me as normally rainfall warnings would be given out under such expected amounts.

It sounds like you've got good reason to be optimisitic, so let's hope for Paul's forecast to become a reality, as I'm sure it will. Just the smoke accumulations (as well as occasional inconvenient direction) and the chance of showers that we have to look out. I'm mostly calling for, as mentioned before, overcasted conditions with the chance of lingering showers.

And really, it was no trouble attempting to make sense of the various forecasts and then coming down with my own personalized ones - I'm just glad to know that I was of service.

Enjoy the show, guys. I'm so anxious to know who the winners will be.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 14, 2008 16:12:35   Edited by: Smoke

If any of you are interested, take a look at the night sky tonight and over the next few weeks to find a planetary cluster composed of three planets: Mercury, Venus and Saturn. Venus is the easiest to see as it stands out as a very bright white-like star - locate that first. Mercury, which is to the right in the trio, is the hardest to spot as it is the dimmest, but once you locate Venus to the left, it should serve as a reference point to find the other planets in the cluster. However, if you do have binoculars, it may help to better see it. Saturn will be in the middle of these two planets, but will be in very close proximity to the right of Venus.

To see the cosmic spectacle, turn your focus to the low Western horizon and wait for the planets to emerge moments following sunset and beyond that point. Again, this will last for the next few weeks, but during this course the planets will appear to be slowly lowering towards the horizon night after night, after which they will eventually become invisible to us. Be sure that there are no obstructions, such as tall trees or elevated structures that can hamper your view. How much lighting is in your surroundings can also significantly affect your viewing. The weather, being the biggest factor, should be alright for tonight and this weekend as high pressure (something that was absurdly scarce this Summer) slowly builds in, but clouds may tend to occasionally interfere - be patient if that's the case.

The spectacle is fresh as it surfaced just last night (the 13th).

Trav.
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>

Page loading time (sec.): 0.022