Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› News —› [Montréal] 10th International Symposium on Firewor
. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Last poster Message

Posted: Jan 4, 2007 11:11:06   Edited by: Stardust

Hello Friends,

as I told you right after the 9th symposium... the 10th edition will take part from 15. to 19. october 2007 in Montréal, again.

official website: www.isfireworks.com
my photos of the 9th edition: www.symposium.fireworksphotos.com

Regards,

*Stardust*

Posted: Jan 4, 2007 13:22:03

Thanks Stardust! This poster is very nice! I'm pleased to know that the symposium will be back in Montreal, home to the first edition in early '90!

Fred

Posted: Jan 5, 2007 08:01:06

Stardust,
Paul,

You have attended to several times to the symposium in the past. Is there always a large firework display during this conference? I remember that Paul has already written something in this forum about a very large (and long) display in Spain, 2-3 years ago. Should we deduce that we will enjoy a pyromusical display in October in Montreal? In contrast with the fiasco of the ultimate display in September/October 2006, it would be great to have a show like that in Montreal in October. It may fit with the anticipated celebrations of the 40th anniversary of La Ronde.

Fred

Posted: Jan 5, 2007 17:10:35   Edited by: fireworksforum

Fred,

In Valencia, there were fireworks almost every night of the convention. Same thing in Japan too. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it to Berlin this year but I think there were displays every night as well.

So I'm pretty sure the choice of La Ronde as the venue for the Symposium means that there will be at least one very large display on-site - I'm sure there will be others too (not sure if they will all be at La Ronde though). As President of the Canadian Fireworks Association, I can tell you that we're planning on a special event at the Symposium too (this is still in the early planning stages).

I, for one, am greatly looking forward to the Symposium!

Paul.

Posted: Sep 28, 2007 10:56:36

Some news about the displays at the upcoming Symposium. According to the official schedule here: http://www.fireworksfx.com/Isfireworks/Schedule.htm there will be displays on Wednesday 17th and Friday 19th from the following companies:

Glorious Fireworks- China
Panzera- Italy
Pirico- Italy
Pirotecnia Caballer- Spain
Pirotecnia Morsani- Italy

Several people have asked me if there will be tickets available and the sad answer I have received is no - the event is private and there will be no tickets sold to the public This is quite a shame as I'm sure La Ronde would have made money - particularly for the displays on Friday 19th.

However, if enough people call La Ronde and ask, perhaps they will change their minds. The main phone number os 514 397 2000 and their email address is info@laronde.com. It's worth a try.

Paul.

Posted: Sep 28, 2007 13:36:05   Edited by: Smoke

Nice to see some delightful fireworks displays coming in a little more than 2 weeks, especially considering that 3 of them listed there are Italian firms, along with a Spanish and Chinese firm. I'm not familiar with Glorious Fireworks, Pirici or Pirotecnia Morsani, so that should make things particularly interesting.

I'll try to give La Ronde a call and send them an email regarding selling tickets when I get the chance today.

Does anybody know the relative longevity of each display? I'm guessing anywhere between 15-20 minutes...

Trav.

Posted: Sep 28, 2007 15:21:08   Edited by: Smoke

I just received an email from La Ronde in response to my question and all I got in return was precisely what they stated to Paul. They wrote:

"Hello,

The fireworks for the Symposium is a private event.The park will be close.

Loking forward to see you another time at LaRonde"

Too bad. I hope they change their minds within the next 2 weeks.

Trav.

Posted: Sep 28, 2007 16:20:37

I will also send an e-mail after I make my post - but regardless of whether or not La Ronde is open, I'm very excited for the Symposium. De Lormier and Notre-Dame or even the Jacques Cartier Bridge will satisfy me as far as vantage points go; even though neither will be closed to traffic.

I'm wondering if the public is able to take part in any of the Symposium's events such as trade shows, presentations and Galas - does anybody know?

Also, that was my first look at Stardust's pictures from the last Symposium - as if I wasn't excited enough! Thanks Stardust.

I hope there's plenty to discuss under this topic in the coming weeks.

Have a nice weekend all,

TRae

Posted: Sep 28, 2007 17:19:49

I probably would have ended up attending on Notre-Dame street anyway, but it would have been great if the park was open as well. However, Notre-Dame always offers a good viewpoint, and De Lorimier is on a slight incline relative to Notre-Dame, so it's a prime reason as to why most are capable of seeing over everyone's heads during each fireworks night from De Lorimier.

Looks like we'll be having that Montreal fireworks forum get-together on Notre-Dame for the Symposium.

Trav.

Posted: Sep 28, 2007 21:55:48

TRae wrote:

I'm wondering if the public is able to take part in any of the Symposium's events such as trade shows, presentations and Galas - does anybody know?

Yes, so long as they pay the registration fee for the Symposium! It costs a lot of money to put on such a conference and all the events. presentations etc. are for those people who pay the fee. Some conferences have a "trade show only" ticket, but that's not the case for this Symposium - it tends to be the larger conferences that do that and, in many cases, that kind of trade show is in the evening so people who are unable to take time off work can still attend part of it.

As for having a forum members' get together, I'm definitely for it. I'll be on Notre Dame / de Lorimier, just like in the old days. I would have attended the Symposium proper, but I can't take the time off work unfortunately.

Paul.

Posted: Sep 29, 2007 12:24:42

Thanks for the info Paul. I'm guessing it would cost the full registration fee of $750 US to attend all the events. Unless the Canadian dollar has unparalleled success in early October, my chances of registering are slim.

With that being said, it's about time I started watching from Notre Dame & de Lormier like the majority of you - I'm begining to really see what advantage it holds over the bridge from various videos I have seen. I'll be there with my videocamera for what I hope are two memorable displays.

I'll leave you with the e-mail reply I got from a La Ronde representative when asked if tickets would be made available for the displays:

I answer to your quesiton, no there's no thicket available for the
symposium, becaure La Ronde will not be open for the public.But if you want to can see the firework from montreal or longueuil.

Hope to see you this summer at La Ronde

Oh well,
Tyler

Posted: Sep 29, 2007 15:39:53

Yeah, I figured they'd give everyone a similar response about the tickets. It doesn't really matter anyway, as we will be seeing the fireworks beautifully from Notre-Dame right up front (you'll love the view, TRae).

It's too bad that the Symposium isn't taking place this coming week, mainly because the weather is looking so fabulous, almost like as if it were weather during the actual competition! Furthermore, I might have a couple of of midterms that particular week (during the 15th-19th), so I'll probably be busy preparing for all that. If anything, I'll most likely attend the one on that Friday, which is the 19th.

In any case, does anyone know the relative longevity of each display? And I'm guessing they'll start earlier given that it's practically dark by 7 p.m? (we crossed the 12 hour day/12 hour night threshold a few days ago-night is now slowly overtaking day! )

Trav.

Posted: Sep 29, 2007 17:28:44

I have 3 videos from last years symposium if anyone wants to see them. I'm sure most of you have already seen them though, as they were on pyro planet for most of last year.

Does anyone know if the streets will be closed while the shows are going on?

Posted: Sep 29, 2007 20:24:45

I'm not sure if the streets will be closed for the fireworks, but I doubt it.

And I don't mind seeing the videos, canuck.

Trav.

Posted: Sep 30, 2007 23:10:13

I feel greedy considering the USA '07 video should be made available shortly, but I would really like to see the videos Canuck.

Thanks

Tyler

Posted: Oct 1, 2007 12:18:08

I'm a little busy these next 2 days with work/school, but I will try and have them ready for you guys on Tuesday night.

Posted: Oct 2, 2007 19:43:42

Here is the first video I promised. Its Pirico from last years Symposium. The video is about 11 mins long and its a very well done show. I hope this link works, if not please let me know.

http://download.yousendit.com/52A253E7545B77A6

Posted: Oct 3, 2007 09:57:29

Oh this videos were from you?? Pirico and parentes show last year was amazing!! specially the finale!! I was dying when i watched it hehehehehe!!!! They should show finales like that in montreal!! that's what yoo call an endless finale and the build up was just great!!! Synchronaztion was also great! It was near perfection!! heheheh!! Thanks for this videos!!

Posted: Oct 3, 2007 12:21:08

I didn't take the video, I just had the file. I don't remember for sure but I think it was the guys at pyro planet that posted the original video.

Posted: Oct 4, 2007 21:15:16

Thanks for sharing the video, canuck. I thought it was a great performance, and like reflections_of_earth stated, that was indeed a good ending. The music choice was pretty good, but I was particularly enamored by the opening of the show with all the multibreakers and shell of shells in variety (seen a lot throughout the clip)-typical Italian style. Perhaps they might do something similar at the Symposium in Montreal this year.

Trav.

Posted: Oct 6, 2007 14:33:03   Edited by: TRae

I just took a look at the "downloadable Symposium PROGRAM" available now on the Symposium official website [url=]http://www.isfireworks.com[/url]

It seems that another company (and a half?) will be offering a presentation. The list of presenters looks like this with new additions in bold:

Dancing Fireworks—China
Glorious Group- China
Panzera/La Ronde—Italy/Canada
Pirico—Italy
Pirotecnia Caballer—Spain
Pirotecnica Morsani—Italy

I'm not sure if anybody will be able to get information as to the exact time when the displays will take place, but from what I can gather, the displays on Wednesday the 17th will take place following an 8:00 pm boat tour of the St. Lawrence River for registered symposium attendees - which supposes a 10:00 pm-ish display time. The boat tour and fireworks presentations are lumped together in the program and are scheduled to run from 8:00 pm to 11:00 pm.

On Friday the 19th, the fireworks presentations follow the closing dinner which begins at 7:00 pm. We might suppose another 10:00 pm-ish display but I'm leaning towards a slightly earlier start-time than the Wednesday displays. It's a gut feeling.

Now all we can hope is that the weather for the displays is more like yesterday (Friday) and less like today - I have a gut feeling Trav will keep us informed either way!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 13:57:07

Fireworks on Wednesday are scheduled for 10pm - I don't have the confirmation for the time for Friday's shows.

BTW, the Panzera/La Ronde pairing was always in the schedule as far as I know.

Paul.

Posted: Oct 13, 2007 01:09:10

Maybe we'll see all the product leftover from this summer's competition in the Panzera/La Ronde presentation.

Anyone know if these will de strictly demos or will be display style, with choreography and everything?
As in... will the Glorious Group's presentation be the design work of a Quebec designer who had success in Montreal years back for a different Chinese firm?

Posted: Oct 13, 2007 02:52:41

during the Berlin Symposium all the shows were choreograph displays. So expect the shows to be choreograph. I think it would be a shame if a company will not choreograph their show in an International Symposium attended by the worlds top fireworks companies.

Should expect Glorious' show to be choreograph by Patrice.

If I would attend the symposium, I wouldn't miss the show of Parente/Pirico. Too bad Vaccalluzzo is not performing. They make very boutique fireworks shows.

Posted: Oct 13, 2007 07:35:01

I wish that someone would video the displays!! I would like to see all displays!! Specially pirico/parente , caballer, and gloious group (their the only company i saw compete live here in the philippines!!) They won a special prize in this year's competition! ! They also showed some shells that looked like apples!

Posted: Oct 13, 2007 12:36:02

Can someone tell me why, when it's a Chinese show, it's mostly Red, Green, Silver, Gold colors. We know the Chinese can make other colors too, but why mostly these colors are used in their effects?

Posted: Oct 13, 2007 13:25:11   Edited by: Enkil

I don't know if it's me or the way this event is organized, but their schedule is a bit confusing and hard to follow. Ok, so the fireworks display starts at 10pm. Friday's schedule is a mystery.

I still want to know how long each display is. A bit of more information would be useful. However, I think 10pm is late and according to MeteoMedia, the temperature will be 12°C during the day on Wednesday. And personally, as much as I want to see it, I don't feel like bothering my family for another late-night show.

We'll see for Friday, anyway.

Posted: Oct 13, 2007 23:46:54

Hey everyone,

Last week I contacted all pyrotechnic groups offering displays at the Symposium by e-mail and asked if they could let me know what kind of show they were presenting - sadly, none have responed yet.

Although, on Pirotecnica Morsani's very nice website [url=]http://www.pirotecnicamorsani.it/en/project_home.htm[/url] you will see a small blurb about their coming display for the Symposium. It has a name and the picture associated with it leads me to believe that we're in for a treat!

Enkil, let your family know that braving the cold should be well worth it. I will volunteer to be first designated to fetch coffee/tea while we wait .

Also, for Reflections_of_Earth and anyone else who would like them, I will be videotaping the displays in full both nights - I highly doubt there will be any music (though perhaps somebody can get a hold of a list of songs from the soundtracks), but I will bring a tripod so the image will be nice and sturdy. I'll see what I can do about getting full videos online and available for download.

TRae

Posted: Oct 14, 2007 01:00:51

As for the chinese displays using red and green most of the time, there could be a lot of reasons why! It could be because of superstitions that those colors brings luck! (they're very superstitious) or maybe because of the cost of other colors because carpet bombing is an art for them so they need to maximize their budget by getting cheaper shells that only has those colors! I'm not an expert though im just saying what i think!

That would be good that someone's gonna record the videos for the symposium! I'm sure that if i was in canada, i would still go to the displays even if they make in 12:00pm hehe!!

I don't think that they would tell you what they would be doing but i'm sure that all of them are already setting their displays!! I'm sure that you would be getting the best from the companies presenting! so enjoy!

, vander

Posted: Oct 14, 2007 02:17:34   Edited by: Smoke

Can someone tell me why, when it's a Chinese show, it's mostly Red, Green, Silver, Gold colors. We know the Chinese can make other colors too, but why mostly these colors are used in their effects?

I've actually noticed a lot of those colors in the Chinese presentation this year, particularly red and green. And I agree, the Chinese are often very symbolic in representing the "luck" factor. This year in particular, the show by Pyromagic Productions was very artistic and intriguingly developed in the various uses of a wide spectrum shells. There were some symbolic effects among them as well, most notably the red "X" (portraying the 10th anniversary of something) encompassed by a red ring of ball stars, and not to mention the additional multiple appearances of the "8", in which case, 8 happens to be a lucky number in Chinese culture, as I've learned previously.

A few words about the weather for the Symposium this week, but it may be early to say, though at this point, Friday looks to be the better day since it looks as if though a warming trend is arriving. Notice everyday this week in addition is progressively getting warmer, contrary to the near Winter like overnight low conditions we've experienced this weekend. In any case, I'll provide later updates about the conditions as we get closer, but all I can say at this point is to keep warm on Wednesday. I'll also have to watch a possible disturbance developing, which could actually change things on Friday, but we'll see!

Take care everyone.

Trav.
. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>

Page loading time (sec.): 0.021